Property tax lien

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
    This is her step grandfather. She is on speaking terms with her step grand sister who is Not speaking to the only biological son/heir. It's complicated! [emoji1787].

It has been almost two years since he died but the tax records haven't been updated. Not sure how long probate could last.
    Took over 4 years on a buddies deal. His parents died and he bought the house. No fighting over stuff with his siblings either. Their attorney sucked and covid added a bunch of time to it.

Comment

Originally posted by rjet View Post
      I found a property in East Texas that I was interested in that had not had taxes paid in years. I reached out to the below firm and they are the ones in parts of the state that gets these properties moved to the sheriffs sales. Might want to see if they service the area you are looking at. They were good in keeping me informed on the property and when it would go to sale.
      Also, this property was not on their radar until I brought it up with them. If I had not there is no telling how long it would have sat there.

Linebarger Goggan Blair & Sampson, LLP
      Tax office gave me this same law firm to contact regarding past due sales. I've left them a voice-mail and will see what they know.

I also found a son in law of owner using tax website as he is still in Texas per obituary. Will try to reach him and find more info.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
        What county?
        Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
        Is this in Dallas County? Most smaller counties have a website where you can check to see if the deceased's will has been filed for probate. Dallas' public records website is a nightmare.

In any event, you can check with the county in which he died to see if his will is in probate. If so, you can actually request a copy of his will to determine any heirs, the executor, etc.
        Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
        Tax office gave me this same law firm to contact regarding past due sales. I've left them a voice-mail and will see what they know.

I also found a son in law of owner using tax website as he is still in Texas per obituary. Will try to reach him and find more info.
        Uh hmmm...what county? Have you called them to see if the will was probated?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          Uh hmmm...what county? Have you called them to see if the will was probated?
          Navarro. Tax office had no info on probate. I just spoke with the tax lien attorney and they said it was not currently on their list but they took my name and info as an "interested buyer".

I was able to find the probate (no will or death probate) info regarding the landowners guardianship from 2015. i found a number in this document for his son and will call it later today. i kinda like being an amatuer PI. thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited by TeamAmerica; 03-02-2021, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Navarro County is where the property is. Obit said owner died in Plano. I checked Collin and Denton county probate records to no avail.

Comment

It looks like you are on it with the right sources. Good luck on the results.

Comment

Do a probate search for him in that county. Everything you need to know will be in that probate

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                  If you buy a tax lien property, I think you can take possession but the property, is still in limbo as they have 24 months to repay you to retain possession
                  If it is just raw land the period is 6 months. I bought a neighboring property that way on the proverbial courthouse steps. Easier to do in rural counties because of fewer interested parties.

The law firm mentioned earlier handled this property as well. They are required to find all heirs and lien holders and inform them that they will be giving up any legal claim on the property when it is sold via tax sale. This doesn't mean they will however find everyone with a legal claim or lien. You will want to have a title search done, but as far as I know, a title company will not write a title policy on the property.

Good luck. Great way to grab a property that has fallen off the map.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzbait View Post
                    Do a probate search for him in that county. Everything you need to know will be in that probate
                    See his post #19 and #20.

Comment

Working...
                    X