No announcement yet.

Question for Police Officers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what y’all are saying is......911 sucks just like everything else government comes up with.

Comment

Originally posted by TxKronik View Post
      In the county I worked in inclement weather would cause 911 open lines and I would be dispatched out. We had a few repeat areas this would happen.

man, if that's the case, I'd have em showing up every couple of hours.

Comment

Our dispatch had BIG issues with Ghost calls last week from the weather. We were getting calls and repeat calls from phone numbers that would ping out in the middle of nowhere or at address not associated with the number. Mainly it was static on the lines but you have to do your dudiligence to attempt to locate it incase it is a true emergency.

Comment

Question for Police Officers

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
          When someone calls 911, it automatically pings. If it cannot ping an exact area, it will ping off the nearest cell tower to the exact location and give a radius of within ** meters. If you're the only house within that radius, then yes, police can and should show up.

On the other hand, if you have a landline, inclement weather can trigger a 911 call, usually with static on the 911 receiver end. Statistics can show officers respond to 911 hang-ups or 911 static lines on residential and commercial properties exponentially during the spring storms. Squall lines of storms are hell on 911 lines.

Regarding the static I had this happen before. We had a line go bad on a Friday night. It couldn’t be addressed until the following week according to Windstream. Police showed up 3 times that weekend responding to a 911 call. The third time the office said he was putting in their notes what was going on. No more knocks on the door after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had the county cops show up to do a welfare check on my mother in law,
            They insisted that they had to verify her welfare, she was asleep and in her night clothes and refused to talk with him, she thought it was a prank, finally got her to change clothes and answer the door , it was weird as it was the middle of the night and having to hassle with the popo’s

Comment

Look, it's easy enough for any kind of perp to take the phone away from a victim and tell the dispatcher "no, everything in ok" no need to respond. Is that what you would want if the victim was a family member.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                Look, it's easy enough for any kind of perp to take the phone away from a victim and tell the dispatcher "no, everything in ok" no need to respond. Is that what you would want if the victim was a family member.
                I agree, but being a victim of a prank call in the middle of the night isn’t easy to understand
                What is going on, just glad the cops had their emergency lights on
                And no one answered the door with a firearm

Comment

Don't you choose your address for e911 with VOIP systems?

Comment

I know it sounds odd but, the most likely cause for the failure is Google. Google has mapped WiFi SSIDs around the world. When someone makes an emergency call using cellular, the SSIDs of nearby WiFi networks are sent to Google to get a GPS lat/long. If the cellphone can get a GPS fix, then this step is skipped. Next the GPS coordinates are sent to Google again (as well as other mapping services) to translate the lat/long into a street address. This is where your failure is most likely coming. That new neighborhood near you has not been accurately mapped yet. Your address is the oldest one on record so guess who's address pops up?

Comment

Originally posted by Rush2Judge View Post
                      I know it sounds odd but, the most likely cause for the failure is Google. Google has mapped WiFi SSIDs around the world. When someone makes an emergency call using cellular, the SSIDs of nearby WiFi networks are sent to Google to get a GPS lat/long. If the cellphone can get a GPS fix, then this step is skipped. Next the GPS coordinates are sent to Google again (as well as other mapping services) to translate the lat/long into a street address. This is where your failure is most likely coming. That new neighborhood near you has not been accurately mapped yet. Your address is the oldest one on record so guess who's address pops up?

Considering that I am one of the biggest anti-tech people I know, this just gives me another reason to hate it. But that sounds very logical.

Comment

Yep, we had a company move into our office building a few years ago and due to their WiFi SSID being broadcast there my location sharing would show me across town for a few weeks until Google or whomever got enough data to update that location. I guess my phone couldn't see the GPS satellites from inside the building so it was just trying to guess location based off the WiFi SSID's my phone could see.

Comment

Working...
                        X