Newbie reloading equipment question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie reloading equipment question

I am wanting to start casting my own slugs for my .457 Texan. Wanting to get a sizer die to run the slugs thru afterwards. I think all I need is a single stage press. Is this correct and can somebody post a link to what I need. Thanks for any help.

Chris

Originally posted by tazhunter0 View Post
    I am wanting to start casting my own slugs for my .457 Texan. Wanting to get a sizer die to run the slugs thru afterwards. I think all I need is a single stage press. Is this correct and can somebody post a link to what I need. Thanks for any help.

Chris

depends on a lot. usually, cast bullets need lubrication.
    that can mean a lubrisizer or
    if confined to low speed <2000(approximately; some say higher, some say lower) you can use some special concoctions. Best to go to Gunloads.com in the CastBoolit forum and do some learning. Liquid lube is a mixture of liquid floorwax and mineral spirits.
    Or you can powder coat and bake
    or there is a special paint/coating you can apply.

Volumes have been written on lubrication of lead projectiles.

Comment

Plan on powder coating them once I get my casting right or coating with Alox(??) probably misspelled the name. My main concern is the sizing for uniformity.

Comment

Google lead bullet forum bet ya find help

Comment

I would powdercoat and just use the lee .457 sizer on a single stage press. Powdercoating is the way to go, makes sizing a breeze and isn't messy like alox or the other liquid lubes.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tazhunter0 View Post
            Plan on powder coating them once I get my casting right or coating with Alox(??) probably misspelled the name. My main concern is the sizing for uniformity.
            should be fine with a Lee sizing die and a single stage then.

If you can't find one on line, let me know. I can fix you up if I can find where I misplaced it.

I have moved on to Lee APP and have the dies for 457 for that so I don't really need the old style.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
              should be fine with a Lee sizing die and a single stage then.

If you can't find one on line, let me know. I can fix you up if I can find where I misplaced it.

I have moved on to Lee APP and have the dies for 457 for that so I don't really need the old style.
              Thanks

I will let you know.

Comment

I have been resizing mine with LEE Dies for years. Then have a wax concoction that i set all the bullets into cookie sheet and pie pans and pour them all. It basically lubes the grooves. And leaves wax in there. Then just let it dry and break them out.

Comment

Working...
                X