Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-24-2020, 12:06 PM   #51
firemanjj82
Ten Point

Bringing this back up.

Just got my oil analysis back from Blackstone. So far so good. This is with Motorcraft Full Synthetic in a 2014 F150 5.0 near 100k miles. I've only been on the full since 75k, with it being synthetic blend before that. I wanted to see how my motor has done with just following the oil change minder on the dash and it seems to be doing me fine.

I've considered changing to something other than Motorcraft, but so long as it keeps working well, then I'll keep using it.

FYI, I don't tow/haul anything, nor am I a lead foot. I like playing the MPG game with the dash computer, but I do about 70/30 city/highway driving.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
firemanjj82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2020, 12:37 PM   #52
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

Just keep this in mind, still check oil level rather than focus strictly on miles.
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2020, 12:43 PM   #53
jaime1982
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co & anywhere I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
10k here, and change the filter at 5k.
Mobile 1 Synthetic EP states it's good for 15k, so I figure at 10k I'm fine.
This is on a Tundra.
Same, I go 10-12k.

2006 tundra, 185k miles on it

jaime1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2020, 12:46 PM   #54
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

One thing you can do is change just the filter 1/2 way and top off oil when running the upper limits of the oil. I think the oil is far better than most filters. I got lifetime oil changes with my truck so I change mine every 5K
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2020, 12:46 PM   #55
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonora

gas engine, use synthetic, i change every 10K, at 100K on truck now.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2020, 12:49 PM   #56
Jarrad
Six Point

Hunt In: Burkeville, Tx

Every 15k for me on synthetic oil. Iíve been doing this on all of the diesel trucks Iíve owned since 97. Had a 98 dodge 12 valve with over 300k on it running like a top when I sold it and it got 15k oil changes. Current truck is a 2012 duramax that I bought in 2012. Same oil changes and same results.
Jarrad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2020, 12:53 PM   #57
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Only way to know is testing a sample.

Start at the recommended interval, then if the lab says it's good to go, stretch it out a bit and see what comes back with the next test, rinse and repeat.
sir shovelhands is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2020, 12:53 PM   #58
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

yep, since goin to synthetic on everything I own, its 10K mi. for me.

Conventional oil I used to go 5K max, and its real dirty!

Again, depends on your driving habits too. A lot of highway driving is going to let you go longer between changes. IMO
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2020, 12:56 PM   #59
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

As a GM Master Tech I see people who follow the change oil light and they are way over due at that point. No matter the make model etc. you may have to top off in between changes. Most who go 10-12k are 1-2qts low typically, or more. The people who change at 4-5K typically do not see the lifter issues or other commonly found problems. The engines I take apart I can tell the difference as soon as I remove the cover. At. 50K unless you're having issues with the belt noise etc. and no cracks keep rolling. Most I replace tend to show wear around 75-100K. At 50K i would have the dealer drop the transmission pan and replace the filter. Same with the differentials change the fluid.

I recommend 4-5K for gas engines

5-7K on diesel and check your oil levels monthly or every 1500 miles or so. Top off with the correct oil for the vehicle.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2020, 01:25 PM   #60
firemanjj82
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
Just keep this in mind, still check oil level rather than focus strictly on miles.
About every other fill up I'll open the hood and check. Some people give me a weird look because it's not so common to see that happen anymore.

firemanjj82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2020, 02:57 PM   #61
beefiedoubleoh
Four Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Hag

Blackstone labs can tell you how long to run your fav oil in your motor. I've sent 2 samples appx 3 years apart - first recc'ed 9k mi intervals, second was appx 8.5k mi.

I run Pennzoil Platinum on Fram tough guard filters - drain and fill @ 7k, then full oil and filter change at the next 7k. Installed a fumoto drain valve & now the drain/fill is super quick and clean.
beefiedoubleoh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2020, 03:53 PM   #62
AIRBORNE
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Wherever I can

As already mentioned, Blackstone Labs is the way to go, I have an analysis done on my truck and welding machine once a year. It doesn’t cost hardly anything and it gives you a really good indication about the wear and overall condition of your engine, as well as a good guideline for oil change intervals. I change my trucks oil every 10k miles, and I do the air filter, fuel filter and water separator element all at the same time just so I can always keep good track of everything.

Last edited by AIRBORNE; 11-24-2020 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
AIRBORNE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top