Scent Control Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scent Control Question

I've been having lots of problems with 'scent issues' this year - I was out of the hunting game for two years and for the 4 years before that I was hunting out of a ground blind. So, its been a long time since hunting an open tri-pod. That, along with the fact that where I am set up (with trees, etc.) the wind seems to swirl around in all different directions, regardless of where it is actually coming from.
    So, I've been wondering about 'bare skin' versus clothing in giving off human scent. For example, do my hands give off more scent if not wearing gloves than wearing gloves? If I am wearing thermals under regular clothes under a polar fleece jacket - less scent than just a shirt?
    Please don't respond with 'play the wind', 'use a cover scent', or buy Ozonics.
    Assuming everything else is done right (shower, scent-elimination products, etc.), does bare skin (or less layers of clothes) allow more human scent into the air, and thus the deer's nose?

smoke your clothes

Comment

Boil some cedar for 20 min then pour the water into a spray bottle. Spray your clothes and area down wind of you.
      Or spray yourself with a vanilla and water mix.....been doing this for 15 years and always have deer down wind

Comment

If I were still practicing law, I would object that these answers are unresponsive to the question.

Comment

No

Comment

Bare skin will smell like you or whatever your hands have touched

Comment

A trick I’ve used when hunting over corn or a corn feeder is to store my clothes inside an empty corn sack until I’m ready to hunt.

Comment

No and Yes
                No, if you go straight from "doing everything else right' to the stand with out touching anything or sweating.
                Yes, if anything other than the No answer.

Comment

I have had success using Hunter Specialty Fresh Earth scent wafers along with using scent free detergent and scent killer spray on clothes and hunting items. I hunt in 10 ft tall tripod and camo up with long sleeves, gloves and facemask. I hunt right on edge of clearing and wind swirls at times and I see deer sniff the air, but go back to eating. Where I hunt, the deer are not super skittish as they are in some areas, but will stomp and snort if they see you. I haven't had that happen using odor control above.

Comment

Personally, I think that the difference in scent that may or may not be let off by bare skin versus covered is inconsequential. They have enough smelling power to overcome any bit of difference that there might be.
                    Plus considering this from a deer's perspective, they aren't just smelling for human scent, they are smelling for anything that is not normal. If your clothes are stored in a tub in the shop they might have a faint scent of plywood or paint or gas, anything like that. It might be completely imperceptible to us as humans, but a deer can smell it plain as day.

As a practical example, deer and bloodhounds have similar numbers of olfactory receptors. Depending on the source you look at it might say that one has more than the other. But with that knowledge in mind, consider this:
                    Mythbusters did 2 different shows about trying to fool a bloodhound tracking a person. To finally try and beat the hound they had one of the guys take a scent free shower, then rinsed him off again, then put him in a sealed plastic chemical suit, and had people dress him wearing masks and gloves so that the outside of the suit wasn't contaiminated by human scent from touch. The dog still went right to him. And it was only trained to follow human scent. A deer is looking for human scent or any other scent that they don't normally smell.

A long answer to your question but to sum it up, there may be a small difference in covered vs bare skin, but it doesn't matter.

Comment

Covered Uncovered as a western born and raised hunter they are going to smell something off and not come in! Having different stand locations is key!

Comment

I have had very good luck with Scent Crusher products. The only things I spray down now are my boots.

Comment

I seem to have the same issue/questions you do. Last time I was out I sort of tested both in as much of similar conditions as possible and couldnt really tell a difference with just a tshirt vs two layers of clothing, (all clothes were washed together in a scent free detergent).

I was also hunting in an open air tripod setup overtop/in a cedar tree and checking my wind constantly.

All deer seemed to behave the same, although this is a fairly new topic I've had bouncing around in my head so what do I know.

Comment

"Nose Jammer" Its been amazing for me this year for deer hunting. But if your trying to kill pigs I wouldn't recommend it. They dont like that stuff.

Comment

Yes, seems logical that bare skin = more scent than covered skin. Do I have proof? No. Google it and see what you find.

Comment

Working...
                              X