Water Softener - Trouble Shooting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Softener - Trouble Shooting?

I installed a Fleck 900 alternating dual tank set-up about 4 years ago on our house. The house was basically new when I installed. After installation, everything worked great until a few months ago. My wife noticed rings in our toilet again. I tested the water and it was hard. Everything is running with the softener system as it should be from what I can tell.

So I increased the regen time and made sure that there was not a salt dome in the salt tank.

I tested the water again last night and there has been no change.

I am considering opening it up to mach sure there are not any clogs anywhere and to clean the injectors.

Those with experience, am I thinking the right direction or should I just call someone to look at it?

Sounds like you might have bacteria lime in the water.

Comment

Originally posted by megger89 View Post
      What is bacteria lime?

Comment

You may need to change the media in the tanks. You can but it and change it your self. Hopefully your plumber plumbed it so you have enough movement or slack to get the tanks away from the piping. There is a valve on top of the timer to let you bypass the conditioner while you change the media.

Comment

Originally posted by megger89 View Post
          Waiting ?????

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
            You may need to change the media in the tanks. You can but it and change it your self. Hopefully your plumber plumbed it so you have enough movement or slack to get the tanks away from the piping. There is a valve on top of the timer to let you bypass the conditioner while you change the media.
            This system is only a few years old. Do you think the media could already need to be changed?

I cleaned the jets and checked the brine line last night. I am going to run it for a week and retest.

One thing I was thinking about is that I used salt pellets originally. When it ran out, I just grabbed pool salt granules at the pool store. It was shortly after that when I think we started noticing rings in the toilets again.

I may clean out my salt bin and swap the salt out.

Comment

I use the crystals. I don’t know if that makes a difference but we will some times experience “tunneling”. This is when the salt fuses together on top and the salt beneath is used up and creates a void so no salt is being used anymore.
              Periodically I will use a small shovel to drive through the salt and keep it broke up.
              Would the pellets work better? I don’t know.

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
                Waiting ?????
                I am NO PLUMBER or EXPERT. Based on what he described it sounds like to me from what I had experienced this past weekend in Santa Fe at my in-laws from a certified plumber.

Comment

Working...
                X