Colorado Quick trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado Quick trip

Wife and I are going to Colorado in a couple weeks. We got our passes for the RMNP ready to go. Plan on doing some hiking and probably renting a side by side one day. Plan on staying in Estes park. Y’all have any trails and hikes that are recommended, Restaurants, and other things to do. Thanks!

We did a whitewater rafting trip through Rapid Transit tours and that was great although it took up a whole day. We did the Stanley hotel nite tour and it was just ok. We ate at a couple of restaurants in town and the food was fine but don't remember names. Watch for elk in town early in the mornings. Estes Park is a cool place!

Comment

Lived in Estes Park from 1993-2000. Take the Fall river rd(dirt) which is one-way up to RMNP visitor center. Then go across the park to Grand Lake and hang out there for awhile.Visit Glen Haven and take Hwy 7 down towards Allenspark. The Grand Lake side of RMNP has a lot less traffic than Estes does and I like the hiking trails on that side for that reason.Enjoy the mountains.

Comment

Originally posted by kerrbow View Post
        Lived in Estes Park from 1993-2000. Take the Fall river rd(dirt) which is one-way up to RMNP visitor center. Then go across the park to Grand Lake and hang out there for awhile.Visit Glen Haven and take Hwy 7 down towards Allenspark. The Grand Lake side of RMNP has a lot less traffic than Estes does and I like the hiking trails on that side for that reason.Enjoy the mountains.
        ^^^^ this

Golf at Marianna Butte Golf is you can in Loveland

Comment

Appreciate all the info! Looking forward to a little get away.

Comment

Originally posted by kerrbow View Post
            This^

I only dreamed of living in Estes though.

Comment

Kerrbow nailed it...really like the Grand Lake side....less crowded and good fishing.

Adams Falls is one of our favorite spots on the Grand Lake side.

Another spot for absolute serenity, world class views, and great fishing... hike up to The Loch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

if staying in estes, dinner at bird an jim is a must. You may need reservations. Rock Inn is another good dinner stop. Clairs has a good burger and breakfast at the big horn. Elkins distillery is awesome.

I really wish I knew the name of the road my wife and I took out of glen haven. It was loaded with deer and supposed to be closed (we went in january) but made it around. The grand lake is area is nice as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                  This^

I only dreamed of living in Estes though.
                  It was a neat 7 years for sure. Only thing was sometimes the winds would blow 60-90 mph in the winter time for sometimes a couple of days. That got old real quick. Still have a lot of good friends up there.

Comment

Hike to Sky Pond if you are in descent shape. One of the best hikes in the park if not the best. The hike to Emerald lake is also nice, but can get crowded. Make sure and drive to the Alpine Visitor Center via Trail Ridge Road.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like we may need to find a cabin on the grand lakes side. We have the plane tickets booked, side x side booked, and the park pass booked. Just need to find a cabin. Last time we hiked was in Washington. It was around 12,500 ft in elevation gain. Coming from the mid coast of Texas that was a pretty rough hike lol. Looking forward to getting up there!

Comment

Have fun & Be Safe!

Comment

Can you do me a favor when your there?

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
                            Can you do me a favor when your there?
                            Whatcha got.

Comment

Is Estes a good place to visit with children in late Decmber?

Comment

Working...
                              X