Crested Butte, Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crested Butte, Colorado

The wife and I will be going up to Crested Butte, Colorado in June for a wedding. We are going to go ahead and make a vacation out of it and drive there from Tomball. Any tips on what we could do there while not busy with wedding festivities or on the drive in between?

Go up to lake Irwin. Hike some of the dike trail at the end of the road just past the lake. I have hunted that area several times.
    drive to lost lake. Good fishing in both, beautiful drive and area!
    Eat at Donita's , (Slogar's need reservations) Wooden nickle,

On the way. (it's a little out of the way) Garden of the God's in Colorado Springs is worth doing. Shops in Manitu Springs. from Manitu Springs, drive through Woodland Park to Salida on way to Gunnison then to Crested Butte.

Comment

Watch out for the Rams this guy and few others were in the road about 2 hrs from Crested Butte
      I turned around and put em on my IG story line they didn’t care about nothing [emoji23] just walked off up the hill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We skied there when I was a kid. That's where we went on vacation to ski. Always wanted to go in the summer time though as everyone said it had some world class trout fishing. It was cold in the winter time. My dad used to call it Frosted Butt, CO

Comment

Go zip line the Royal Gorge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

the white water rafting just south of town was awesome. also may want to consider stopping at palo duro canyon on your way

Comment

Fishing, Gunnison has some cool bars. Personally, I would go camping somewhere on public land for a night or two.

It's a painful ride from Houston until you hit New Mexico. After that, 10 under the speed limit is necessary just to look at everything! It's worth stopping on top of Monarch Pass as well.

Comment

Book a fishing trip with Joel Aslanian of https://www.gunnisonriverguides.com/. Tell him Chris Estes sent you. I have my annual trip booked with him this summer already, great guide and great fishing.

Comment

My late uncle had a chalet there as a vacation home. He'd let me take a couple of friends up a few times a year and stay and we always had a blast.

Been too long ago though for me to remember names but there was always something to do and while we did most of our own cooking the places in town where we ate were all good.

Comment

If you like mountain drives you could do Kebler Pass east of town or Gothic Road north of town. Both can be done in 2wd and have gorgeous views. To the east is the Taylor reservoir area, good fishing and some nice drives also. Schofield Pass over to Marble is unforgettable but I wouldn't do it in anything less than a Jeep Wrangler.

Further to the southwest is Ouray/Telluride/Silverton which are considered the Switzerland of America. Lots of mild jeep trails, great hiking and one of the most beautiful areas in the US. It would be a short side trip on your way up or back.

Comment

Black canyon of the Gunnison National park west of Blue Mesa Reservoir.

Comment

Last time I went I was a sophomore in high school with the church youth group....and maaan was it glorious!

Comment

I second the whitewater rafting out of Almont. The 1/2 day trip was just enough for me and the crew, and lunch at the attached restaurant was fantastic! Take a lift up the mountain and hike down, we still had plenty of snow last July 4th. Also, we enjoyed hiking around Lake Irwin. Plenty of people were catching trout, though we were not fishing. The lake had just thawed the sheet of ice from the surface the week prior. My brother lives there, so we did not eat out much. All of the eateries in town are good, just gotta decide what you want. I've been visiting up there since 1982 and have never run out of things to see or do.

Todd

Todd

Comment

Have fun, it's a nice area. I camped at Lake Erwin, and it's a nice lake loaded with stocker trout. Good hiking trails in the area around town, and did Schofield Pass in my Tacoma. It's a beautiful area

Comment

I would spend a day at Palo Duró Canyon. We drove from Galveston to Breckenridge a few summers ago and I regret not stopping there. I liked Amarillo the night we stayed there too. We went to the Cadillac Ranch and painted our names on the cars. We also ate at the Big Texan and they will pick you up in an old Lincoln limo with horns on the hood.

Comment

Working...
                              X