Rabbit as a pet for kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rabbit as a pet for kids

My daughters birthday is coming up and she has been asking for a guinea pig. I had two as a kid and I remember the extremely strong urine smell if their cage wasn’t cleaned often along with them being a little wild and skittish. I know some guinea pigs can be tamer than others. I’ve been asking her if a rabbit would be ok and she says she doesn’t care. So my question is do rabbits make good kid pets and what are the positives and negatives? I was looking into a dwarf rabbit. Does it matter if they are a buck or a doe? This will be a rabbit that will be in a cage in an air conditioned/heated sunroom and only come out for her to give it attention. Please give me any input you may have.

We have a mini lop male. He’s cool, potty trained to a litter box and just roams around like a cat but sleeps in his cage at night. Very low maintenance pet

Comment

We got a pair for the kids when they were little. Hard lesson learned was you cannot put two bucks together. As they are young, they may get along, but as they mature...... The day will come that one or both may decide to be the dominant one. And that my friend can result in a fight to the death. My daughter's rabbit made it, but my son's was not so lucky. He died as a result of the injuries sustained in the fight. Learn as much as you can about whatever breed you decide to get. My daughter's lived a long life until the hutch got left open during a slumber party and our boxer got ahold of the bunny. At that point, she'd had the bunny for almost 5yrs. At that point, we just stuck with the dogs and cat......it's much simpler. Good luck!

Comment

You ever seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail? We got one for my daughter that would attack just like the one in that movie. Rabbits make better stew than they do pets.

Comment

My grandma had pet rabbits that were in outside cages growing up and they always tried to bite me - they look evil with their mouths open coming for you.

On the other hand, I have a friend with a big grey rabbit (like the size of a small cat) that roams freely in her house with the cat and it is fine. Think it all depends on the breed and the environment. Her house doesn't smell like pets either, but I'm not sure how often she cleans.

Comment

My daughter has a mini lop buck. He’s really calm and she carries him all over the place.

Find one that someone handles from when they are little and they will be really tame. Hers never bites but often licks her hand lol

Comment

We have a holland lop female. She have never bitten anyone but hates to be picked up. You want her?

Comment

Originally posted by Thorcules View Post
                We have a holland lop female. She have never bitten anyone but hates to be picked up. You want her?
                LOL...No Thanks, I need one she can pick up!

Comment

i'm not an expert on rabbits. but, a friend of mine got 2 as a kid. bought from a pet store and told they were both female. a couple of months later they had about 15 rabbits.

Comment

Originally posted by sectxag06 View Post
                    i'm not an expert on rabbits. but, a friend of mine got 2 as a kid. bought from a pet store and told they were both female. a couple of months later they had about 15 rabbits.

Those things breed like rabbits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My youngest once raised them for FFA. We liked them. The more you handle them the better they get. Make sure you start with young rabbits.

-john

Comment

They shed like crazy, so just be aware you will have fine hair all over the room the cage will be in. We have two mini lops and I moved them outside. She’ll need to spend a lot of time holding it and socializing it if she really wants it to be friendly.

Our male has cost us a lot of money, he broke his top front teeth and they no longer wear down, they grow super fast. Since he broke them we were having to take him in to get his teeth ground down every 4 - 6 weeks. We eventually just had his front teeth removed, upper and lower. The female has been no problem at all. A $40 rabbit can cost you big money...
                        Last edited by JES; 10-08-2020, 10:06 AM.

Comment

We grew up with rabbits, and at first they are cool. But quickly become a pain in the @ss, some can get pretty mean. I’ve been bitten, scratched a lot just trying to clean cages. We also had guina pigs, hamsters, gerbils, mice etc. And I’ll tell you what we came upon a buddy that was moving out and had a pet rat that he couldn’t keep at his new place ( 50.00 additional a month). At first I said noooooo way, I got drunk, and that rat came home with us. And seriously she was the best non dog pet we have ever had. Birds, cats included. She was so cool, and the kids still remember her to this day. They don’t live a very long time though, maybe good thing to some if the kids ignore, don’t take care of it after the newness wears off. It was sad for all of us finding her dead though.
                          Last edited by critter69; 10-08-2020, 10:10 AM.

Comment

We bought a Neitherland Dwarf rabbit about 2 years ago. Very nice rabbit and can pick it up and hold it. The rabbit is small.

If you are interested let me know. We are willing to give it away but to someone that really wants a rabbit. My kids have outgrown this phase. My wife has become the care taker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A girl I used to date had a pet rabbit, that I never met, fortunately. Its name was Thumper, and would hop around and hang out with her on the couch. One day, for no apparent reason whatsoever, the rabbit took a large bite out of her eyelashes, so a good chunk was missing. When she told me this story, I calmly stated that I would have had that rabbit for dinner that night.

Comment

Working...
                              X