Lumber Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lumber Prices

I know everyone is stirred up about ammo “shortages” but can someone explain to me why 2x4 framing studs went from $2 to $8 and OSB Decking went from $8 to $30?

I’m not buying supply and demand. Somewhere someone is making some coin because those are the prices from regular lumber yard and Home Depot/Lowes. Not some dude that stood in line outside of Home Depot for 3 hours to but 5 2x4’s and resell them on the internet

Hate to tell ya but been that way for about 8 months now. Take a look at the lumber stock futures and you’ll see the crazy spikes in prices steadily becoming the norm. Although I I don’t think I’ve ever seen OSB for $8 a sheet.

Comment

They were climbing all year last year after Covid and dropped right before Christmas to $4.25-$4.40. They have shot right back through the roof again. I've put several projects on hold because of it.

Comment

It’s insane...we waited a year too long to build an addition on the house. What should have been close to $20k is over $40k now. But I ain’t waiting on prices to change, the boys ain’t getting any younger and the house is getting smaller with 3 15 year olds in it

Comment

Its ridiculous! I bought some 2 x 4s today at $5.79 apiece!

Comment

Originally posted by Bradical BH View Post
            Hate to tell ya but been that way for about 8 months now. Take a look at the lumber stock futures and you’ll see the crazy spikes in prices steadily becoming the norm. Although I I don’t think I’ve ever seen OSB for $8 a sheet.
            I know it’s been going on for a while, I’m in real estate business too. I just haven’t got an answer as to why.

Comment

I work in the residential building industry and the two hurricanes that went thru Louisiana damaged the mills causing shut downs which shut down milling and created a supply and demand issue. Once one distributor pays what they have to, to keep filling their orders, the pricing then gets raised to a new level and on and on. This is not my opinion rather what I was told by my salesman at the lumber yards. We also saw price gouging which screws the curve for a reset. Add on top of that a huge surge in new home sales and it’s a perfect storm. It’s slowly coming back down though.

Comment

Mills shutting down from the virus is what I’ve been told.

Comment

I heard both hurricane and COVID as excuses but I didn’t the mills were that shut down. Those make some sense. If the mills are operating. But usually the hurricane thingy levels out in 6 months. But still the cost is being inflated somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradical BH View Post
                    My builder friend was buying decking for $6.35 a sheet this time last year. Crazy prices now.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                      My builder friend was buying decking for $6.35 a sheet this time last year. Crazy prices now.
                      I went in to reroof one of my houses in July Was banking on $8 a sheet and ended up a $25. That left a mark but I had to do it so I just paid it.

Shingles have gone up but not like that.

Comment

It’s a combination of things. Long term interest rates are at historic lows (and have been low for a while). Which means that people can afford to build bigger houses, thus elevating the demand side. Then you have large corporations controlling the supply side, and they are setting the market price to take advantage of the demand side. And the consumer is caught in the middle taking it up the shorts.

Walk into any lumber yard, and their lumber prices are 30-50% higher than they were a year ago. Then, go find 20-50 landowners and ask them how much they are getting for their timber (saw logs). I guarantee you that you won’t find a raw timber supplier getting 20% more for his trees this year than he was last year. So a reasonable conclusion is that the saw mills and OSB/particle board plants are controlling the price and market. GP is basically a monopoly (in the south at least)

Comment

I haven't paid attention to lumber prices in a couple if years.. I bought the lumber to build stairs and finish decking a storage space in my shop.. my jaw dropped when the lady told me the price.. 48 dollars a piece for 16 ft 2x12s.. I figured 350 to 400 bucks for what I needed. Ended up almost 700 dollars. Everything but the 2x12s would fit in the bed of my truck.

Comment

FYI - Hurricane Laura destroyed over 750,000 acres of timber resulting in a loss of $1.6B for LA

People in Lake Charles are having lumber and roofing supplies shipped in from Houston.

Comment

I did notice the prices dropped down some in December but has climbed back up. I do know the 2x4 studs were down to like 4.65 at Lowe’s in decent in Lufkin Tx. The reason I say this is because I seen a few people loafing up on them in which made me go look.

Comment

Working...
                              X