Bathroom/Kitchen Remodel Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bathroom/Kitchen Remodel Help

Hey, everyone. I'm looking for some advice on where to get materials for some remodels that aren't just Big Box retailers. I'm not doing a tear down to studs type of remodel, but I am doing countertops, vanities, kitchen sink, and such.

Also, I'm trying to get an idea on what to do in my kitchen in regards to countertop materials and paint colors. I don't really have a keen eye when it comes to how something will look, and I definitely don't want to venture into the endless world of Pinterest. so...any ideas would be helpful. Pics are appreciated.

Originally posted by firemanjj82 View Post
    Hey, everyone. I'm looking for some advice on where to get materials for some remodels that aren't just Big Box retailers. I'm not doing a tear down to studs type of remodel, but I am doing countertops, vanities, kitchen sink, and such.

Also, I'm trying to get an idea on what to do in my kitchen in regards to countertop materials and paint colors. I don't really have a keen eye when it comes to how something will look, and I definitely don't want to venture into the endless world of Pinterest. so...any ideas would be helpful. Pics are appreciated.
    We recently gutted and refinished our master bath. Wife bought most of the finish materials off Amazon. Free standing tub, free standing tub spigot with spray, top mount sinks with water fall spigots, ceiling mount rain shower head. Had a guy come in and install counter tops, bought floor and shower tile from floor decor. Everything else on line. I did all the plumbing and framing and she kept the budget amazingly low compared to what we would have paid for the same comparable materials and finishes from a box or specialty store.
    Last edited by Benno; 01-22-2021, 11:33 PM.

Comment

I have a brand new double basin stainless undermount sink in the classifieds. Will save some money vs retail.

Comment

If you’re looking for economical countertops, I used maple plywood. Put 3/4” maple on top with 3/4” plywood sheathing underneath (cheaper to build thickness). Glued and screwed the two sheets together to make one solid slab. Cut the slab to the shape I needed and trimmed with 1x2 oak or pine. Finished with dark walnut stain and 4 coats of oil based polyurethane. Mounted to greenish turquoise cabinets. I’ll try sending you a pic in a PM. Cost me about $200 for about 60 square foot. Only draw back so far is you can but hot stuff on the counters which we avoided previously anyways.

Comment

Have your wife pick everything out. If you select it you will be redoing it in 5 years. Been there. :-)

Comment

If you are changing out cabinets and want good quality for a lower price, look into Bliss Cabinets online. I gutted and remodeled our house in 2019 and bought all of the cabinets there. The only downside is that you have to assemble them after they are shipped. But, they are good plywood (not particle board) and about 1/2 the price of ordering from the big stores.

Comment

I personally built my kitchen from scratch. Bought the Russian birch plywood and maple to build all the cabinets from a lumber dealer. The countertops/ island took 2300lbs of concrete countertop solutions white cement that the mrs and I poured.
              Paint/lacquer was from Sherwin Williams. The wife wanted a bright white kitchen.

I am currently building about 40 linear feet of base cabinets for our butlers pantry/ utility room. Same Russian birch for the boxes, maple for the face frames and mdf drawer faces. They will also be painted.

Heres a pic of the kitchen though it was not finished when it was taken.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4843.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	24644449

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here’s a couple updated designs I’ve done lately. I don’t design them, just do the install and floating
                Attached Files

Comment

Few more ideas.

I’ve got some tumbled marble showers if you want to go that direction. Subway and large format are the going thing now
                  Attached Files

Comment

Find pics of what you want it to look like and go from there. If you want cheap then you may have to find tiles or countertops cheap then choose a color to paint.
                    I know of a couple places in DFW that sell returns wholesale, new old stock and used materials.

Comment

best bet is to find your local granite installer and go through what they have.. they could have som leftovers, etc. We have been doing a big remodel on our house and we have ordered almost all of the fixtures (Lights, Faucets, Hardware, etc..) online, but bigger things we have got from Lowes or HD (Vanities, Jazuzzi Tub, Sinks, etc.) as you may need to use their return policy if something is broken.

Comment

Working...
                      X