Poor Boresighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor Boresighting

I took my rifle to a local gunsmith to get a screw extracted and scope mounted. The mounting included a boresight, and I was told it should be dead on at 100 already. I took this will a grain of salt, but figured I would at least be within 4-6 of my target when I got it to the range.

Fast forward a couple hours and I finally made it out to send a few rounds downrange at 100 yards. First two shots were not visible on the target, so on a whim I decided to aim at the very bottom of the target, which showed a shot 17 inches high and 7 inches left. So in conclusion, I feel like it was boresighted poorly, but not sure if the shop will do anything anyways. I finally got the scope where I wanted it, but it took more rounds than I liked to get it there.

What say the GS? I still have my target, but I know it's my word against theirs.

Rifle is a Savage Axis 308 with a Vortex Diamondback 4h12x40

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I would ask the gunsmith for his expert opinion on it being off that much after a boresight to confirm he does not think there are any other issues. gives him a chance to make it right if he wants to.

Comment

Just a note. I bore sight all mine at 50yds. Remove bolt put gun in a vise or on sandbags and eyeball down the barrel and thru the scope. Get them together and start sending rounds down range for final sight in.

Comment

....and take a gun that you know is dead on and have him check it as well. Don't let him adjust it tho!

Comment

Purchase a site lite. It will pay for itself pretty quick.

Comment

Had a smith boresight a rifle years ago and the same thing happened. I was no where near paper. Took me awhile and a good amount of ammo to finally get it.

Comment

Weird they'd tell you it'd be dead on at 100. It may have been close with a certain ammo but there's too many variables.

That said, I helped a buddy sight in his savage axis with the weaver that came on it. It was factory bore sighted. We started at 50 yards and it was dang near zeroed first shot.

I still like to pull the bolt and look through the barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                Just a note. I bore sight all mine at 50yds. Remove bolt put gun in a vise or on sandbags and eyeball down the barrel and thru the scope. Get them together and start sending rounds down range for final sight in.
                I do the same about 70 yds.
                I dont trust anyone to bore site after a couple incidents, always do it yourself because its too simple.
                Just take out the bolt, line up the barrel on the target, then align the crosshairs. Back and forth a couple times and its done. Then take first shot at 50 yds to be certain its on paper.

Comment

That’s exactly what I do. Sure saves a lot of wasted rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is how I do it as well. I always start at 25 though. Usually takes 1 round at 25 to figure out where I am and make the necessary adjustments. Sometimes I'll move out to 50 and other I go straight to 100.

Comment

I think any competent gunsmith would never tell you that it is dead on at 100 yards with only a bore site, you still have to do your own sighting in. At best it would print somewhere on paper although I have bore sited some rifles that were pretty much within 5-6" at 100 yards but that is the exception and not the rule. Too many variables and always go to the old tried and true 30 yard starting point and go from there.

Comment

It's really easy to do yourself. You could have checked it before shooting. Not the gunsmith's problem (although sounds like he did a crap job)

Comment

I do my our Bore Sighting now that I have the tools BUT most shops that do it will tell ya “You will be on Paper”

Comment

It's just a bore sighting. No need to come down on the gunsmith. It's just meant to get you on the paper

Comment

Bore sighting will only get you on paper, always start at 25 or 50 as stated above.

Comment

Working...
                              X