On star phone question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On star phone question

My on star phone account needs more minutes bought, is it worth it?
    My cell phone number is AT&T and service is sometimes spotty
    Does Onstar use satellite? Or have coverage in rural areas at&t does not cover

I think I leave a minimum amount of minutes on it just in case of emergency.

Comment

Not worth it, for two reasons. 1. 20 years ago, you didn't need cell phones to get by at all. 2. My phone, with ATT, even in rural area's where there is no service, allows me to call 911. Check to see if yours does as well.

Comment

I had it briefly. I started getting spam/scam calls on it and turned it off promptly. Never again.

Comment

On star uses satellites for phone service and will work when you do not have cell coverage.

Comment

Switch to Verizon, and cancel the Onstar. Emergency 911 on onstar will still call out even if there are no minutes. I was a 20+yr AT&T customer and had relatively great service. While on a cross country trip and even into Mexico a friend of mine had Verizon. Service was rarely interrupted with her Verizon. Took me a few months to switch and I am happy I did. I am sure there will be some that disagree and that is ok. This is just my experience with Verizon.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
              Switch to Verizon, and cancel the Onstar. Emergency 911 on onstar will still call out even if there are no minutes. I was a 20+yr AT&T customer and had relatively great service. While on a cross country trip and even into Mexico a friend of mine had Verizon. Service was rarely interrupted with her Verizon. Took me a few months to switch and I am happy I did. I am sure there will be some that disagree and that is ok. This is just my experience with Verizon.

What some of you don't think about is that most of us leave our cell phones on the console, cupholder or phone holder while driving. In a bad wreck, especially a rollover, that phone will wind up out of an injured person's reach. I believe that Onstar will dial 911 for you if the airbags deploy.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                What some of you don't think about is that most of us leave our cell phones on the console, cupholder or phone holder while driving. In a bad wreck, especially a rollover, that phone will wind up out of an injured person's reach. I believe that Onstar will dial 911 for you if the airbags deploy.
                This is very wise advice those phones do go flying in a accident
                “ my wife’s CTS was T-boned and Onstar called me, told me about the wreck and what emergency service was sent . her phone was in the wreckage and she couldn’t be reached “

Me I wanted to know because I had a wonky fuel pump and wanted to be assured if it quit I could use Onstar if AT&T service was spotty ! Walking 14-18 miles isn’t in my game plan @ 54

I carried a old bag phone in my offshore boat and it was golden to about 50-60 miles out
                Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 01-10-2021, 05:26 PM.

Comment

I don't think Onstar uses satellite for calls. I think it uses it in emergency location and that all. Could be wrong. Coverage in Colorado a few years ago was no better than my cell phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
                    I don't think Onstar uses satellite for calls. I think it uses it in emergency location and that all. Could be wrong. Coverage in Colorado a few years ago was no better than my cell phone.
                    I think you are correct. Phone calls go through cell towers, but emergency calls go via satellite...I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X