what is best chainsaw length for cutting hill country cedars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
    I have three Stihl saws. The smallest one, a MS201TC is top handle professional grade saw with a 12 inch bar. It's amazing what that little saw will cut and the speed it cuts. It has plenty of power to keep the chain speed up in any kind of wood. The only downside to it is the price.
    Probably the best all around saw on the matket

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
      I have never seen something like that, but very cool sir. I might have to make one for myself...

Comment

I have been using this cheap Stihl MS170 with 16" bar for a few years. It has not missed a beat. I used it to cut down pines at our house in PA and I also used it to make hinge cuts and clear a road at my friends farm in Ohio. I had a Craftsman 18" from 2002-2014 but that thing was a bear to start since new. I gave it away in a fit of frustration one day and bought this Stihl . I am happy I did.

Comment

Use a file to sharpen your chains and put the money you save toward the saw you want. You can buy a new full-chisel chain for what it'll cost you to have a chain sharpened twice. You'll save a LOT of time by not constantly swapping chains. I can run 25 tanks through my bigger saw before I ever take a chain off and more on my smaller ones. You'll get it (and keep it) much sharper than the kid at the hardware store and save lots of wear on yourself, too.

I don't see any reason a 16" bar wouldn't work for cedar, but I haven't cut a lot of it. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
            I have been using this cheap Stihl MS170 with 16" bar for a few years. It has not missed a beat. I used it to cut down pines at our house in PA and I also used it to make hinge cuts and clear a road at my friends farm in Ohio. I had a Craftsman 18" from 2002-2014 but that thing was a bear to start since new. I gave it away in a fit of frustration one day and bought this Stihl . I am happy I did.

this one ... no questions. Easy to handle and light enough to trim with too.

Comment

Buy one with a 20" bar, then take it off and install an 18" bar; best chainsaw you will ever use.

Comment

Originally posted by JonW View Post
                Use a file to sharpen your chains and put the money you save toward the saw you want. You can buy a new full-chisel chain for what it'll cost you to have a chain sharpened twice. You'll save a LOT of time by not constantly swapping chains. I can run 25 tanks through my bigger saw before I ever take a chain off and more on my smaller ones. You'll get it (and keep it) much sharper than the kid at the hardware store and save lots of wear on yourself, too.

I don't see any reason a 16" bar wouldn't work for cedar, but I haven't cut a lot of it. .

The Napa in town charges me $6 to sharpen. So I just have a few blades and rotate them there.

I have cut down literally hundreds of cedars off my place since I bought it 2.5 years ago. Stihl 171 16" gets it done. My buddy brings out his Stihl with the 20" bar and after about 45 min I am ready to toss that thing down the hill

Comment

Originally posted by rsquared View Post
                  I looked at a few yesterday at a local dealer

Was really impressed with the echo 2511t as it is only 5 lbs
                  Also liked the echo 355t

I think a smaller top handle is the way I am going to go
                  Just need to decide which one
                  That's what I have and I really like it

Comment

Originally posted by asttbe View Post
                    The Napa in town charges me $6 to sharpen. So I just have a few blades and rotate them there.

I have cut down literally hundreds of cedars off my place since I bought it 2.5 years ago. Stihl 171 16" gets it done. My buddy brings out his Stihl with the 20" bar and after about 45 min I am ready to toss that thing down the hill

I think they're $7 around here. I haven't bought a 16" chain lately but the 20" have gone up to around $17 at the saw shop (not lawn equipment) I buy from. Lawnmower shops are expensive for some reason and many won't sell anything but safety chains.

I sharpen a chain (touch-up really) an average of 25 times with a file. Normally it's tooth wear at that point, but if I don't do as good a job as I should I've had them stretch before. It doesn't make sense cost-wise for me (I can buy a lot of new chains if I paid to have them sharpened) but that's just my experience. Either way, I have to touch up teeth after the machines because they don't get them as sharp as a file does. And I'm really not that proficient. I might even do better with a guide.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                      I have never seen something like that, but very cool sir. I might have to make one for myself...
                      Glad someone liked it. It has been one of my most usefull tools. If you'd like more pics, let me know.

Comment

Stihl HT 131 and MS 261 with 18" bar

Comment

Originally posted by tmurray View Post
                          I thought for sure I wanted an 18" saw till I used my Dad's 14", I now have a 14" Echo and I love it. Like others have said, the light weight is great.

Yep, I have 2 of them and they are perfect for cedar

Comment

I have 3 Echo's and 5 Stihl saws.
                            The Echo are lighter and less vibration if you are running even for a half hour there is a big difference. My primary saw is a 27" Echo 680 but I bring smaller 18's and 20's. The big saw makes quick work of a log, it will save a lot of time when cutting big wood. Some say it is overkill but it is too small for many jobs. I like the sound of the Stihl though reminds me of my motocross days. Brrrrp brrrrrrp
                            If I was going to just cut on occasion I would buy an Echo and not have to think about it again.

Comment

I have a Husqvarna 440 18" and a 435e 16". Both work extremely well but the 16" is a little lighter if using all day

Comment

Overall I prefer the new Echo's over the new Stihl saws. The Stihl MS250 is a proven saw though. Some of the big logging Stihl saws that are still made in Germany are the cats Meow. The older Stihls reputation was solid, and it's still carrying their new line of junk. I had two Stihls (MS291) and (MS 170). Both were junk to me. I sold both of them and run an Echo CS 590. I have a 24" and 18" bar for it. I can pretty much do everything I need too with that saw. I have thought about getting a Milwaukee M18 chain saw for smaller task. I have no experience with Husqvarna
                                Last edited by Arrowthreat; 01-05-2021, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X