Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Steel shot shell for ducks, geese

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
    BB and #2 shot. You guys must really hate them. I never shoot more than #3 and typically will buy #4 and #5 for ducks. You get a lot more pellets in your pattern.
    As far as brand, I like Kent Fast Steel and Rios.

I shoot 2’s because we get just as many Geese in the dekes as ducks so it’s a good happy medium between duck load and goose load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LuBowhunter View Post
      I shoot 2’s because we get just as many Geese in the dekes as ducks so it’s a good happy medium between duck load and goose load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      We shoot the same shells for the same reasons. I'm not that mad at them anymore but my boys shot 4 cases of Rios 2's last year.

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
        I dont know a single person that uses 2 3/4 inch shells for waterfowl. I could kill them with it without a doubt, but I dont think I've seen anyone shoot 2 3/4 steel shells.

That being said, I'm a fan of Hevi Shot, Kent Fasteel, and Rio. All I shoot is 3" #4, all the way from teal to cranes. They all kill them dead, more importantly you need to see what your gun likes to cycle and pattern.

I've been shooting Rio lately cause it's the cheapest, buying 2 cases at a time from Roger's it comes to $9/box
        Hi,
        I have been duck hunting 60 years and was a duck guide for over 35 years and I shoot 2 3/4" steel in either 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 oz loads. Usually, use #4 shot if smaller ducks are the primary target, and #3s if larger ducks are the target.

These loads have killed birds from the FL Everglades to AR, TX, MI, KS,
        I shoot whatever brand are on sale the summer before the season.

If, you shoot birds within killing range and the killing range is basically the same for the same loads in 3" shells, as 2 3/4" shells.

As, my father said it isn't the arrows, it's the Indian.

Comment

Originally posted by Gladesgator View Post
          Hi,
          I have been duck hunting 60 years and was a duck guide for over 35 years and I shoot 2 3/4" steel in either 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 oz loads. Usually, use #4 shot if smaller ducks are the primary target, and #3s if larger ducks are the target.

These loads have killed birds from the FL Everglades to AR, TX, MI, KS,
          I shoot whatever brand are on sale the summer before the season.

If, you shoot birds within killing range and the killing range is basically the same for the same loads in 3" shells, as 2 3/4" shells.

As, my father said it isn't the arrows, it's the Indian.

Thanks? I'm not doubting the fact that 2 3/4 shells kill close to the same. Just no one I know shoots em. Hell I would have to go out of my way to look for them instead of 3" at a store

Comment

This will devolve into a mechanical vs fixed blade argument.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ776 View Post
              broadhead*

Comment

Originally posted by CJ776 View Post
                Hey now, we all know the regular rages are trash and you should only be shooting tryphans.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                  Like the guy that posted above me, 3.5" BB's for ducks........
                  Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                  If you need 3" shells to kill ducks, you are either:

1) Not on the X
                  2) Skybusting
                  3) Can't shoot a lick

All 3 can easily be amended.
                  Bingo x2.

2 3/4 6s for teal and timber. 4s for decoying birds and BBB for geese. I see zero need for a 3.5 shell unless you're hunting pterodactyls

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

In my 12 gauge, I shoot 2 3/4” #4 and in my 20 I shoot 3" #4. Sometimes if I know there will be an opportunity for geese I'll throw a box of #2 in my bag. #4 is my favorite all around shot size for ducks, and will kill geese just fine at a reasonable distance. As far as brand, I generally buy cheap, so I'm not much help there. Also, I know it was mentioned above, but a full choke with steel shot is ill advised. Some loads are ok with a full choke, but most steel loads won't have the malleability for it. Good luck, and post pics when you get back!

Comment

Hevi-Metal 3” #3 shot, 1500 FPS. Plenty for both and patterns great.

Comment

Working...
                      X