Synthetic rope or cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synthetic rope or cable?

For use on a winch up deer feeder. 55 gallon tripod.

Any reason not to use synthetic rope? I have always used cable and change it out every two years.

If that’s all you’re using it for, I would stick with the cable. It should last longer. UV rays will shorten the life on synthetic.
    If it was for your Jeep or truck winch I would say go synthetic. If it was to break, it wouldn’t do the damage a cable would.

Comment

Cable

Comment

Hardware stores have em already cut in 50ft lengths with a loop on the end . . I've been using them on 3 feeders going on 6 years . . Look for "clothes line" . .
        They are galvanized . .
        Last edited by Sharecropper; 01-22-2021, 07:56 PM.

Comment

I would worry about rodents chewing through the synthetic rope.

Comment

get some Dyneema. for light duty stuff it will last as long as anything and will not rust on you.

Comment

Cable and about two sizes bigger than is needed. Extra insurance after it rust in the coming years.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                If that’s all you’re using it for, I would stick with the cable. It should last longer. UV rays will shorten the life on synthetic.
                If it was for your Jeep or truck winch I would say go synthetic. If it was to break, it wouldn’t do the damage a cable would.
                My thought as well

Comment

cable
                  If you will keep the cable lubricated it will most likely last decades doing what you use it for. A good chain lubricant will do good, just spray it on heavy 1-2 times a year. Basically think of cable as roller bearings

Comment

Stainless wire rope. If it lasts for years on my boat lift at the coast it will last for years on your feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
                      This. I lost one hanging feeder to squirrels. They chewed the rope in half and the feeder fell, destroying the motor. Then the hogs used said feeder as a beach ball. Go with cable.

Comment

I would stick with cable James simply due to the weight and possibly u v damage. On the game hoist I fab I use the synthetic rope. It will support most white tails and I don’t mess with hogs anymore. And, my lift isn’t exposed to u v all season.

Comment

feeder rope

Originally posted by RWB View Post
                          took word tight out of my mouth!

Look at dif steel cables..some are smoothe and don't get pokey...and really easy to handle...Sorry I don't remember brand or where I got it...maybe someone else knows
                          Last edited by cva34; 01-23-2021, 07:30 AM.

Comment

SS Cable

Comment

Cable
                              I have some feeders with 10+ years of service, I keep them lubed up with a shot of fluid film
                              Couple times a year , WD40 or lighter oils don’t cut it for me , keep a can of fluid film handy in my toolbox

Comment

Working...
                              X