• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in

Comment

Keto 2021

Back on the wagon here.
      I lost 80+ last year then plateau. Stay around same weight for months. Then holidays come and of course put some back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fishman View Post
        It's a pretty easy "diet" for me. Everything I like! Pork rinds, bacon, cheese, eggs, meat, etc., mixed with some healthy carbs. Just have to watch your portions. Thought it would be a breeze to cut our carbs, but I do get a craving for chips and tortillas every once in a while.

Carb-Smart tortillas. They don’t taste like the homemade real deal, but they’ll get you through in a pinch. I also like using pork rinds for dips/queso whatever. The chili-lime ones are awesome and have that satisfying crunch that chips give you.

Comment

Originally posted by JMart76 View Post
          Been at it for a week and lost 1 lb, eating min veggies, berries, cut out sugars, bread, pasta, etc. I eat mostly meat already not sure if that may be the problem? I’m dumbfounded as I thought I would have lost more than that. Eating 1600 calories a day hopefully some weight will drop off as I’m in it to lose weight and drop my BP as well.

My guess would be not enough healthy fats and protein is probably too high. Download the carb manager app (it’s free) and track EVERYTHING for a few months. This will help you balance your nutrition needs and learn what you can and can’t have during a day and stay within your macros.

Comment

Been on it for about a year and lost 30#s. I now keto Monday-Friday, and eat as I want on the weekends. I usually start Monday with a 23 hour fast, meaning I don't eat after 7pm on Sunday night, then eat again Monday night. Lots of steak, pork chops, grilled chicken, grilled fish, egg, and lots of cheeses and fat bombs. I make lots of alfredo sauce and zucchini noodles as well. Oh, Aldi Nut & seed keto bread was a game changer for me.
            Last edited by BrianL; 01-11-2021, 11:21 AM.

Comment

I plumped up in 2019 because of some life events. I decided to give keto a try last January and was able to knock of 24 lbs in about 9 weeks. Then covid came along and gyms were shutdown. I started having back problems in June, back surgery in Sept and ended up putting on 16 lbs the second half of the year. When Im bored I eat too much. I started back on keto last Monday and Ive lost 5 lbs in a week which I know is mostly water weight but it is gone nonetheless. 11 more lbs to go and then I'll switch back to a high protein, moderate fat lifestyle. Biggest thing I miss while on keto is good beer. I should have that 11 lbs off in about 5 more weeks so then I'll reward myself with a good beer or maybe two.

Remember once you reach your goals carbs arent bad as long as you use them everyday. Processed food on the other had is crap. Eat good, exercise/be active, and maintaining the weight is pretty easy. I like to weigh everyday when Im in maintenance mode so if I see a bump up it makes me jump right back on track if Ive been slacking a bit. Much easier to knock off 1-2 lbs than 5-7 lbs. Good luck to everyone.

Comment

Curious if anyone is or plans on incorporating a cheat meal once a week. I typically dont but found if I did here and there it didnt hurt anything and sometimes actually seemed to help spur things on if I was in a stall.

Comment

Originally posted by dhall1414 View Post
                  I did keto the first time a few years back and ended up dropping about 80 lbs over 8 months. Mostly it stayed off but you really can't do keto as a diet. Pretty much has to be a lifestyle. I'll be starting hard core keto tomorrow to get ready for being married. The best tip I can think of is to not overdo the protein. It can get really easy if you don't stay on top of your counting.
                  I thought Keto was a high-protein diet. What happens when you overdo protein?

Comment

Someone passed this guy onto me to learn about keto and fasting last year. He has a ton of videos on various aspects of keto and fasting. He can be a bit long winded at times but sometimes if you look down in the comments someone will have provided the cliff notes to a 20 minute video. Hope it helps some of you who are just starting into keto and trying to figure it out.

Thomas DeLauer has built his name around helping the busiest people in all corners of the world find the time to make small, easy changes within their diets and their lifestyles to not only become healthier, but to become top performers within their respective areas. On this channel you're going to find close to all the information that you need to begin making a change for the better without having to sacrifice your favorite things. As someone that has been in the healthcare space for his entire career, Thomas brings a wealth of knowledge to the table and alongside him is a remarkable research team that backs everything with science and evidence to ensure that you get the most out of what you are doing. At the end of the day, this is a channel for you, because in our eyes, if you perform better, the world performs better. Soak it up and enjoy some learning and get ready to optimize the heck out of your life, no matter how busy you are! http://www.thomasdelauer.com

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post

It’s high fat (good fats), moderate protein, low carb. If you eat excess protein, your body will convert it to fat and store it.

Comment

Not at all. Overdoing protein will kill the ketosis going on in your body. If someone is starting out on keto, they should be weighing and recording their food intact so they can track their macros. Typical Keto macros should be 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs. The fat and proteins are goals if you will and the carbs are an absolute limit. I ran around 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carbs.

By eating a high percentage of natural fats you are training your body to burn fat as a fuel instead of carbs.

Comment

yeah you have to burn your existing glycogen stores to trigger ketosis, which happens when you stop taking in carbs and can be accelerated by exercising. once you're in ketosis and you exercise, you burn calories you took in that day first but then you move immediately to burning fat. just be careful about protein intake. it's easy to go overboard on it, which ends up being hard on the kidneys and can actually throw you out of ketosis anyway.

Comment

What about monitoring your blood counts/labs? Anyone doing regular bloodwork to see if changes occur in things like hemoglobin/iron? Cholesterols and triglycerides? Liver enzymes? More importantly, insulin resistance? Someone early mentioned a reduction in BP. Is this common across the board?

Comment

Keto 2021

What about monitoring your blood counts/labs? Anyone doing regular bloodwork to see if changes occur in things like hemoglobin/iron? Cholesterols and triglycerides? Liver enzymes? More importantly, insulin resistance? Someone early mentioned a reduction in BP. Is this common across the board?

I donate blood regularly. I find that my iron is lower than usual and I supplement accordingly. As far as labs, I have had full panels done annually since I was 23. Heart disease runs rampant in my family and I wanted to stay on top of it. My labs in July were the best they’ve ever been after 6 months of Keto. My previous labs the year before were the worst. (I had gained 30lbs after a bad motor vehicle accident in October of 2018 and wasn’t cleared back for the gym yet.)

Here’s a side by side on my cholesterol labs from 2019 and 2020.

I don’t have the other labs saved, but my doc literally said all my labs were perfect and asked me a ton of questions about what I had been doing.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                                Been on it for about a year and lost 30#s. I now keto Monday-Friday, and eat as I want on the weekends. I usually start Monday with a 23 hour fast, meaning I don't eat after 7pm on Sunday night, then eat again Monday night. Lots of steak, pork chops, grilled chicken, grilled fish, egg, and lots of cheeses and fat bombs. I make lots of alfredo sauce and zucchini noodles as well. Oh, Aldi Nut & seed keto bread was a game changer for me.
                                This is pretty much what I do too.

Comment

Working...
                                X