• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old gerber knife?

I have a gerber 97223 knife trying to figure out what vasco steel is
    Good or bad , it is a 40 year old gift and it stays in a drawer
    Attached Files
    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 01-23-2021, 04:05 PM.

First search. https://www.zknives.com/knives/steel...sco_wear.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by mavrick View Post
      So similar to D2 -m2 type of steel, I guess decent quality

Comment

Found another gerber

Gerber magnum 97223 with 440c blade, is older 440c better quality than newer 440 hc ? I don’t know nothing about older knife steel so any imputed information
        About these knives is appreciated
        Attached Files

Comment

That is a Gerber Folding Sportsman trailing point. I had the drop point model.

"Gerber introduce the Folding Sportsman I in 1976. The FS II had been introduced in 1972. I think they were discontinued in about 1995."

I lost my knife back in the early 80s, but I still have the sheath for it.

Comment

I had that same knife years ago and still have a fixed blade (has the green coating on the handle almost like it was powdercoated) that I absolutely love. The steel is very hard I know that and has always been really hard to sharpen until I got my Worksharp Ken Onion Edition. Now, I can keep it shaving sharp. I don't know that they make them like that anymore as I have not bought a Gerber for years. I think the one I have is probably 40 years old and has gutted/skinned a lot of animals over the years.

Comment

440 has three grades, A B and C. 440c is good knife steel. 440b is halfway ok, and if your knife just says “440” then it’s probably B. 440a won’t harden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

SCHRADE old timer 152

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
                440 has three grades, A B and C. 440c is good knife steel. 440b is halfway ok, and if your knife just says “440” then it’s probably B. 440a won’t harden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                The magnum It’s 440c

I found a cool old SCHRADE USA #152 sharp finger in a box in the garage , I assume is 1095 steel ( it will rust) cleaned it up it’s wicked sharp
                Attached Files
                Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 01-23-2021, 10:39 PM. Reason: Found a new knife

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                  The magnum It’s 440c

I found a cool old SCHRADE USA #152 sharp finger , I assume is 1095 steel ( it will rust)

Those are great knives!

Comment

The magnum It’s 440c

I found a cool old SCHRADE USA #152 sharp finger in a box in the garage , I assume is 1095 steel ( it will rust) cleaned it up it’s wicked sharp
                    One of my favorite skinning knives ever.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I've got the USA made Sharpfinger and it is a great skinning knife.

Comment

The magnum It’s 440c

Awesome knives. For Christmas when I was 9 my uncle gave me a Buck 110 and Santa Claus left me a sharpfinger under the tree.

Comment

The magnum It’s 440c

One of the best knives I ever owned.

Comment

The magnum It’s 440c

The one I had didn’t really have a bevel grind on the blade. Just a slow taper to the cutting edge. That dude would get needle sharp

Comment

Originally posted by SRK14 View Post
                              The one I had didn’t really have a bevel grind on the blade. Just a slow taper to the cutting edge. That dude would get needle sharp
                              Yeh I was sharpening the SCHRADE 152 last night and was confused about it only getting sharp on 3/4 of the blade .
                              Then realized it was beveled blade . Holy cow that 1095 steel can make a scary sharp cutting area!
                              And love the patina on the blade

Comment

Working...
                              X