Youth Doe/Spike at Muse WMA 10/22-23/22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youth Doe/Spike at Muse WMA 10/22-23/22

Drove in today as soon as the girls got out of school! We're all 3 pretty excited for this hunt. My girls are 10 and 8. This is the 8 year olds first draw and she's all kinds of excited. The hunt starts tomorrow after an 11am orientation. Trying to keep expectations in check since it's showing a high of 92 tomorrow with South winds @15-25...

Either way, we're excited and hopefully daddy can put his girls on some deer!

I'll try to keep this post active or semi-live since there are only a couple threads on this place from previous years. Any others who drew this year feel free to comment on here and put your reports if you wish!

Wish us luck y'all!!!

Sounds like a fun trip good luck

Comment

Good luck! Hope yall have a great trip!

Comment

Good luck! Hopefully the deer are moving good.

Let us know what stand y'all get when they draw for them.

Comment

Turkey hunted there last year, pretty ice place. They should do good, we saw plenty of deer and hogs while there. Good luck.

Comment

Tagged to follow along.

Good luck to your kiddos!!! I hope they are successful. Good memories to be had either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Rounder View Post
              Good luck! Hopefully the deer are moving good.

Let us know what stand y'all get when they draw for them.
              Looks like they changed the blinds up a bit. There's now another near the check station numbered as 0...

We got 3... they didn't let us pick. It seems nice enough though. They said if people wanna move for the next sit that would be fine.

Man there's only 3 groups here. That's crazy. They couldn't taken plenty of standbys but none showed up.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

We're ready to go!!!

Comment

Yes, looks like they are ready ! I can only imagine the excitement you're feel-n too! The best to yall. These memories will go on forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinthebox View Post
                    Looks like they changed the blinds up a bit. There's now another near the check station numbered as 0...

We got 3... they didn't let us pick. It seems nice enough though. They said if people wanna move for the next sit that would be fine.

Man there's only 3 groups here. That's crazy. They couldn't taken plenty of standbys but none showed up.

We almost went for standby. Just couldn't make it work this weekend.

Good luck once again.

Comment

Originally posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
                      We almost went for standby. Just couldn't make it work this weekend.

Good luck once again.
                      There was my girls and then 2 different teenage-ish aged boys. That's it.

Comment

Well, didn't see anything at all yesterday. Not even a bird.

Seems like the weather isn't going to cooperate for this hunt. 20-30mph wind and hot is not a recipe for harvesting deer.
                        But, we're out here again this morning. We'll see. Don't know if you don't show.

Comment

Hopefully this morning will have been better.

Comment

It all came together at 8:50 this morning!!!

My oldest dozed off in the corner, I began to doze off and the youngest was to my right in the shooters chair this morning. Well, I dozed off slightly and really had given up hope because it was seriously super windy! When I woke myself up by snort snoring I looked up and there were 2 does standing right in front of our blind @ about 25 yards. I couldn't tell if I was still sleeping or what. Lol.

Told my youngest who was on the tablet and oblivious that there were 2 deer out there. She said, WHAT really loud. I said, SHHHHH, give me the tablet and get yourself ready to shoot. She lined up on the deer and it moved. She adjusted and put a solid shot just behind the shoulder. We could see good blood pouring out immediately! The 2 does ran off together and I was pretty sure I saw her go down. I told the girls we needed to give her some time which they thought was totally lame.

While we were giving her doe some time, we started spotting some movement out in the woods where they had ran. I wasn't sure if it was her doe and it kept getting up moving around or if it was the other doe. Well, turns out it was the other doe! It came right back in to our corn pile! Got my other daughter to switch chairs as quietly as possible and the doe ended up going off into some thick brush. She made a big circle North of our blind and came right back in again. Got my daughter lined up on that doe and she dropped her in her tracks! DRT!!!

We then decided to go look for the first doe. There were specific instructions from the hunt manager to not track deer on your own unless you saw them go down. He wanted you to contact him and they would come help track for safety purposes.
                            Found blood very easily. Tracked it into the thick area probably only 20-30 yards into the brush. Decided to back out and get the manager per his instructions. We field dressed the second doe and then headed to the check station to get help tracking... We made it back to the blind and showed him our solid blood trail and we followed it with him... The doe ended up being only about 10 yards beyond where we stopped. My daughter was so pumped! I got it on video!

I will upload pictures from our hunt soon. Had a blast even though it was actually a very slow hunt. But that all changed in an instant. Left there with 2 very happy girls!

By the way, these were first deer for both of my girls!

Cameron is the managers name and he was great! Took time out to explain some sciencey stuff to the girls. They enjoyed that.

I have to believe it would've been much more activity if it hadn't been so windy. Will put them in again in the future!

Comment

Congrats to you all

Comment

Working...
                              X