Honey bees swarming in Central Texas today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honey bees swarming in Central Texas today

I was on the phone with my brother and he was driving between Bryan/College Station and San Marcos...and he drove through a swarm of bees.

3 minutes later. Still on the phone. Im an Entomologist and Apiarist and grilling him with questions about the several hundred dead insects gut splatters covering his windshield and attempting to identify said gut splatter whilst were both driving. He starts croning that said unidentified insect should “know better than to fly over roadway”...its been gusty windy and I explain to him why flying low is better....
    Suddenly my windshield is peppered with juicy bodies.
    I drove through a swarm (moving West to East) on TX Hwy 95 between Granger and Taylor. I was able to identify the bees by the three dead bodies on the right windshield wiper.

I got home and told my wife...She said...”Those werent our bees were they?”

...(20 miles away). I hope not!
    Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:16 AM.

Somebody sure lost a colony. I have seen them swarm on the job site before. One guy had them swarm his truck and followed it for 2 miles then proceeded to follow him home. Never figured out the deal but think he hit the queen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow. Thats interesting the swarm following the truck.

Comment

Yep, I got these out of a water meter last week. They had just moved in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Got popped in the back of the head by one this morning

I hope the bees a friend has on my place were just ****** and not moving out

Big swarm around the hive

Comment

That is really awesome Mr Plus. I like the time lapse photos...Thanks for sharing.

Ive had two colonies move in and set up residency in hollowed trees in the bottom over the past couple years.

I have another colony that moved into a septic riser at another property. It needs to go.

Comment

Hit a few Thursday between Bertram and Burnet.

Comment

I was working on leak repair on our hunting trailer in Edwards county this weekend. I heard a buzzing headed my way, luckily i was on the ground getting something from the truck, i quickly moved into the trailer and watched a massive swarm fly by. Id say it was as large as a city bus. They were going with the wind direction headed S to North at about 4 in the afternoon. Ive never seen a bee swarm like that before, glad i wasn't still on the trailer roof.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X