Breaking in a Barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking in a Barrel

Just built a new AR-10, Got everything ready to go just need to mount my scope and go shoot it. Moreover, Seems like everyone and there dog has an opinion about how to break in a barrel. Just curious to see what everyone has to say on the matter.

Just shoot it but don't let it get too hot

Comment

Originally posted by BWilksTX View Post
      Just built a new AR-10, Got everything ready to go just need to mount my scope and go shoot it. Moreover, Seems like everyone and there dog has an opinion about how to break in a barrel. Just curious to see what everyone has to say on the matter.
      Man, you know how to stir it uP!

I run a wet patch through to clear out any debris and then shoot it. This is now my method for factory and custom guns. Dont over clean either, I have a .308 with 400 rounds through it that may never get cleaned again until it needs a new barrel. I can guarantee on that particular barrel I could patch out the carbon and any copper build up in less than 10 patches. No two barrels are the same so let the target tell you what it needs.

Comment

I shoot it, then shoot it some more. I’ve got 700+ rounds on my 6 Creed, and it’s never seen a rod or patch at all. Still held less than 6” last weekend at 705. I can’t remember the last time I cleaned a rifle to be honest.

Comment

I didnt break in my shilen barrel and it shoots great.
          I have seen some fancy lapping bullets u can shoot that have good reviews but I wont attest bc I have not used em

Comment

haha man this question starts a fight for some reason.. I asked this questions a while back..

Comment

Originally posted by taylormade820 View Post
              haha man this question starts a fight for some reason.. I asked this questions a while back..
              Yea i figured it would.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                I shoot it, then shoot it some more. I’ve got 700+ rounds on my 6 Creed, and it’s never seen a rod or patch at all. Still held less than 6” last weekend at 705. I can’t remember the last time I cleaned a rifle to be honest.
                [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the thread. I need to shoot a few new guns and have heard I need to break them in.
                  Me- I will just shoot. Never had a problem in the past.

Comment

You get it red hot and shove it into an ice chest of ice water, clean it, do it twice more. It will be a one holer and never string a shot as its heating up.

Comment

Clean it well and then shoot it. I clean about every 2-300 rounds or between matches. Make sure you use a chamber guide

Comment

I have done 2 rifles side by side. One I "broke" in using a Breaking in procedure, the other I didn't.
                        My 7-08 I broke in correctly using the BIP, same hole accuracy MOA.
                        My AR15 I just shot it, cleaned it when I finished shooting. Same hole accuracy, MOA.
                        The most important thing that I noticed is to match the ammo to the rifle. Even though I used a BIP, the 7-08 wouldn't shoot some ammo very well at all, same with the AR15.
                        The only thing the BIP does is shorten barrel life.
                        JMHO

Comment

Working...
                        X