San Marcos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

San Marcos

Headed to NB for a few days next week with the family. We would like to spend part of one day at the San Marcos River. I’ve heard there is a pretty nice area to hang out near downtown, swimming and tubing available. Could you guys give me some info on this area? Preciate it.

Oh...and do they allow alcohol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's San Marcos, I don't think there is any place that does not allow alcohol.

I don't have any direct info, but think they have tubing, you can fish the river, they have kayak tours. Then you can swim in the river. When school is in, there are typically quite a few college students along the river, near the school.

The river runs from near Texas State/SWT, then under the road, through the park. Then crosses IH 35. On the other side of 35, you can access the river from River Road. Some people go to Fentress to go tubing also. The river is pretty nice looking along that area. I want to kayak that area.

Comment

Rio Vista is a fun spot to lounge. Lions Club does toob rentals where you float from city park to Rio Vista.

No alcohol unless you're in the river. Entrance and exit points where you can take your cooler of booze into the river. Lots of rules these days.

The Blanco is flowing enough that 5 mile **** park is nice too. I don't know the alcohol rules there but it's generally not patrolled like on the San Marcos. I was there last week sitting in the water and drinking.

Comment

Sewell Park is fun, alcohol is allowed in the river only and does get patrolled. Rio Vista Park has some little falls that are fun. San Marcos is great and the water is cold, very cold! 5 Mile in Kyle is where I spent this last weekend and its a blast to for just relaxing and hanging out, the water isn't as cold as the San Marcos which was good for me. You can pretty much drink anywhere just keep it in a cup, they frown on public display. No Styrofoam and clean up after yourself and you will have a blast.

Comment

We always float at Don's Float house, if you get there early you can set up on the bank there, it's a cool spot.

Comment

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

interested, in learning more. will follow this

Comment

Wear sun glasses if you are with your family. Might save you from getting a black eye.

Comment

We always go tubing close to the school. The Lions Club has a spot right on the river and they can also provide transportation for a small fee and they rent tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                    Wear sun glasses if you are with your family. Might save you from getting a black eye.
                    Dark and/or mirrored lenses only!! Best advice one man can give another man

All the good spots have been mentioned already but be mindful of what you WILL see. Everything is possible on the rivers there. Drugs, drunks, partying hardcore. If you have boys, they will absolutely love the scenery and “shows”. Girls won’t go like it near as much.

Comment

If your going with the family, rent some kayaks to go down the river.
                      I highly recommend Paddle With Style for canoe kaya rentals (she's also my sister :-) ).

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Not river related but Hays Co BBQ is well worth a stop.

Comment

The river in town is not wild at all. Way more mellow than the Comal or Guadalupe. Now if you go SE of tiwn to Don's Fish Camp it's another story. That's where tha party is.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Bring sunscreen. It’s hot here now!!

Comment

May not even want to come to San Marcos.

Covid is spiking here and a lot of places are shutting back down or about to.

Comment

Working...
                              X