High degree partial tear of ACL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's what the radiologist said after looking at Zach's MRI today. The surgeon doesn't entirely agree. He said it's hard to see the ACL on the image, because the ACL is deep inside the knee joint. He said that protocol for a 50% or less tear is to do nothing and just keep going. He said that there's no way to say what percentage Zach's ACL is torn, because it's so hard to see. Going by feel, the knee feels just as tight as the other uninjured knee.

He gave Zach the green light to keep playing. That's good, because it's Zach's senior year and he really wants to play.

Anybody have any experience with that? Zach had juvenile rheumatoid arthritis when he was a toddler, so I'm always extra cautious about stuff like that. His football career will be over in 3 months. But his health will be important for the rest of his life.

I'm not about to tell him he can't play. I just worry, I guess. It sure is fun watching him play though. Gonna sit this week out and continue to just rehab, and then he'll hit the field full speed next week.

Just had my 3rd ACL surgery just over a month ago.... I played soccer for 6 months with it torn previously and this one I played and/worked with it torn for over a year... It may not be pleasant after games but he should be ok... Just have him wear a brace

Comment

Praying that he is able to finish out his last season. That last year is the most memorable. Tough situation im sure as a parent

Comment

Originally posted by rednecktbrizz7 View Post
        Just had my 3rd ACL surgery just over a month ago.... I played soccer for 6 months with it torn previously and this one I played and/worked with it torn for over a year... It may not be pleasant after games but he should be ok... Just have him wear a brace
        I got you beat. I'm on number 5. As mentioned above, I would definitely brace it up. I would look at a DonJoy or similar brace specifically for an ACL, which runs about $500. I would avoid a cheap Wal-Mart one as that won't protect his ACL.

Comment

I think yall are headed down the right path. I have had 8 ortho surgeries so speaking from a little experience. MRIs are not all that accurate at determining partial tears. The radiologists and doctors always think they have an idea but they never really know until the surgeon gets in there. For me it has always been different than what they were expecting except for the time I had a full ACL tear. That was clear cut. If he has surgery, he is out for sure. I would let my son continue to play until it was too painful or he tore it completely. Depending on position he could play with a brace on that knee as well to keep it from tearing any further. Best of luck to him.

Comment

Looking back now, my health over my life span would outweigh playing high school football. When I was 17 I would not have felt that way, but I can promise you my pops would not have let me suit up anymore.

Comment

go see James Andrews, MD for an SMO

http://www.andrewssportsmedicine.com...t&sub=About+Us

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                I think yall are headed down the right path. I have had 8 ortho surgeries so speaking from a little experience. MRIs are not all that accurate at determining partial tears. The radiologists and doctors always think they have an idea but they never really know until the surgeon gets in there. For me it has always been different than what they were expecting except for the time I had a full ACL tear. That was clear cut. If he has surgery, he is out for sure. I would let my son continue to play until it was too painful or he tore it completely. Depending on position he could play with a brace on that knee as well to keep it from tearing any further. Best of luck to him.
                Yeah, that's the deal for sure. No way to know for sure unless you go in and look (surgery). The surgeon felt his knees and moved the joints around and all of that. By feel, the hurt knee is just as tight as the uninjured knee. So the doc feels like it's a minor tear.

Zach tried a sleeve brace the other day, but it hurt more wearing it than it did to go without it. Also, a brace is just a target for the other team to aim at too, so I'm a little hesitant to put one on him if it isn't clearly needed or helping. We'll play it by ear.

Comment

Glad to hear it's not season ending. Sounds like y'all are handling it logically.

Here's to a safe and enjoyable remainder of his HS year.
                  Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

What position does he play? I had a simple hyper extension in high school but now it is starting to give me problems. Life is long and football careers are short. Something to think about.

Comment

Thanks, Devin. That's all I'm after, for sure. Zach wants to break the school record for rushing yards that his buddy set last year. That'll be great if he does, but it's just a game. As long as he can climb the hills at the lease when the season is over, I'm happy.

Comment

He plays QB right? And I remember maybe y'all play 6 man..? I played CB, never thought a brace as a target, and you can always put it under the sock and pants so it doesn't stand out as much.

Comment

Originally posted by TMEC View Post
                          What position does he play? I had a simple hyper extension in high school but now it is starting to give me problems. Life is long and football careers are short. Something to think about.
                          Spread back - 6man version of a QB/running back.

And you're correct. Football is not that important. Zach is very mindful of that too - more so than most teenagers. He's a long term thinker (as much as an 18 yr old can be anyway). But he wants to play. Hopefully he'll have a good year. I still worry.

Comment

My son tore his ACL. We elected to forgo surgery and just rehab so he could still race motocross.

A month later he tore his miniscus and PCL due to the weakened ACL.

They are young and will heal better than us old farts.

Comment

Good luck to him. I hate to hear that. I'm sitting home today recovering from an arthroscopic medial meniscectomy and something else I can't pronounce (right knee surgery) I had yesterday morning. He told me there was a partial tear in the MCL that was very old. I remember hurting it 25 years ago and I just let it heal and it was fine. I think the meniscus tear I had cleaned up yesterday is unrelated. In other words I bet your surgeon is spot on in his diagnosis however if it's still hurting next week I might consider a second opinion. I hope he gets better.

Comment

Working...
                              X