Chill R = Spine Monster :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chill R = Spine Monster :)

I've been gradually tweaking my new Chill R to make it a lethal killing machine. Its 71# @ 28" and a dream to shoot. I've been shooting Axis 340's at 28" for practice and a few Hexx 330's also. Well I got around to tuning broad heads this week... 340 won't cut it, 330 won't either.

20 yards, broad heads group decently but about 5" right. Thought it was just centershot, adjusted. Broadheads were dead on, field points were 5" left lol. Returned to original centershot. On Target 2 software says those arrows are under spined for broad heads, and what do you know it be true evidently.

Looks like I'll be going to a 300 spine arrow for fixed heads. I love the Hexx/DaTorch arrows, but no way I can get their dynamic spine high enough when starting with 330. Kinda ugh as there isn't near the arrow selection in the 300 spines.

Easton charts say a 330 spine is good to 78# on a 28" arrow... not with these AVS cams lol.

What size broadheads? I shoot 300s as well but they're tipped with 125gr heads.

I'm around 70lbs and 29"

Comment

What rest, and what vanes are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
        What size broadheads? I shoot 300s as well but they're tipped with 125gr heads.
        I'm around 70lbs and 29"
        Tested with Grizz Trick, Stinger, and 2 blade Blood Runner all at 100 grains.
        Originally posted by El Coyote View Post
        What rest, and what vanes are you using?
        TR Revolution, 2" Blazers with max helical.

Comment

Chill R = Spine Monster

Id have the timing checked. You will be over spined if you drop down. 340s or 330 should be great right there..I've never used that rest. The stinger BH never tuned well got me. The Grizz have worked great.

Comment

Something sounds a little off to me. I am 70/30 and never had that problem even with faster shooting bows. 330-340 should be right on.

Comment

Only way to rule out is put a few 300s through it and see. It's the easiest variable to rule out. I've seen a few other posts about the Chill Rs @ 70# needing 300 spine. If spine doesn't make a difference it pretty much has to be a rest or timing issue. I'm going to powder my rest tomorrow and see if I'm getting any fletch contact.

Comment

Originally posted by El Coyote View Post
                Id have the timing checked. You will be over spined if you drop down. 340s or 330 should be great right there..I've never used that rest. The stinger BH never tuned well got me. The Grizz have worked great.

I've had Stingers shoot spot on for me over the years and Grizz tricks have been ok but only after getting everything on the money tuning wise. IMHO a little over spined is way better than a little under.

Comment

I would think you should be able to tune a 340 in that bow. you are not shooting a lot of weight up front and your draw length is not overly long. before you buy some more arrows just exp. with turning the bow down to see if you can shoot the 340's. if so its a spine issue, if not some other gremlin.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                    I would think you should be able to tune a 340 in that bow. you are not shooting a lot of weight up front and your draw length is not overly long. before you buy some more arrows just exp. with turning the bow down to see if you can shoot the 340's. if so its a spine issue, if not some other gremlin.

Plan today is double check paper tune. Check rest clearance. Take a few turns off limb bolts and then see where I am at.

Comment

Currently, how long are your arrows? Do you have room to shorten them and stiffen the spine?

Comment

My Chill R maxes out at 74# and I'm a 28.5" DL. I'm shooting Beman ICS Hunter Patriot 340's and Victory BuckBuster 350's. Both at 26.75" carbon-to-carbon with 100gr heads. No tuning issues at all. It stacks FPs n BHs. The shop I got it from did the tune before it went on the rack

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
                          Plan today is double check paper tune. Check rest clearance. Take a few turns off limb bolts and then see where I am at.
                          I will almost always take a bow out of paper tune to broadhead tune it. I'm a better than average archer I think but a hooter shooter I am not.

Comment

Well over a hundred arrows and a few hours later, here is my journey. I first turned down the draw weight and shot a few groups, no perceptible change. I returned the bolts to maxxed out. Next I checked paper tune on the bow... wild and I mean way right tear probably 2". So I started gradually moving the rest to tune it out, no changes. I decided at that point it must be some bizarre fletching contact even though I had never had that issue with this same rest on my SB XT. It was then a little light bulb went off. I returned the rest to its original position where the shop had tuned it when I bought it. Then instead of adopting my normal anchor I simply let my anchor hand hover in space... very nearly a bullet hole. Shot a mixed broad head, field point group.... all within in 2" at 15 yards.

In the end it wasn't the bow at all it was me. Around the time I bought the bow I had changed my anchor so I could get my nose to the string. Without thinking about it, I had settled into a regular anchor where my face was putting a good amount of pressure on string at full draw. When that bias went away the bow shot/tuned predictably *sigh*. Live and learn I guess. I'm exhausted, shoulders are sore, back is sore, but at least now I know that the gremlin was me not a piece of equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
                              Well over a hundred arrows and a few hours later, here is my journey. I first turned down the draw weight and shot a few groups, no perceptible change. I returned the bolts to maxxed out. Next I checked paper tune on the bow... wild and I mean way right tear probably 2". So I started gradually moving the rest to tune it out, no changes. I decided at that point it must be some bizarre fletching contact even though I had never had that issue with this same rest on my SB XT. It was then a little light bulb went off. I returned the rest to its original position where the shop had tuned it when I bought it. Then instead of adopting my normal anchor I simply let my anchor hand hover in space... very nearly a bullet hole. Shot a mixed broad head, field point group.... all within in 2" at 15 yards.

In the end it wasn't the bow at all it was me. Around the time I bought the bow I had changed my anchor so I could get my nose to the string. Without thinking about it, I had settled into a regular anchor where my face was putting a good amount of pressure on string at full draw. When that bias went away the bow shot/tuned predictably *sigh*. Live and learn I guess. I'm exhausted, shoulders are sore, back is sore, but at least now I know that the gremlin was me not a piece of equipment.

Good job. Way to stick to it

Comment

Working...
                              X