Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    ttt for sausage season
    Does the roof just sit on top or is it secured in some way?

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
      Does the roof just sit on top or is it secured in some way?

Yes the roof was made to just set on it for portability reasons. We used to have several folks that did it up here and we'd switch off houses using the same smoker. But now since I am the only one in my current group that makes it, I keep it at my place and just ran a few deck screws in each side to keep it on during the high windstorms we get around DFW. It never blew off but I like my house windows intact...lol When not smoking sausage I keep split smoker wood in it so that I always have enough dry wood if a big BBQ project comes up. Works like a champ there too.

Comment

I may have missed the post but does anybody have recipes or tips on smoking sausage? I spend way too much on half #ss store bought stuff... Looking to do it myself.

Comment

Seriously thinking about this for next season. Thread is a wealth of info.

Smart - if you had it to build all over again what would you do differently?

Comment

<

Comment

Originally posted by TexasCanesFan View Post
              Seriously thinking about this for next season. Thread is a wealth of info.

Smart - if you had it to build all over again what would you do differently?

For the quantity we do at a time (250-400lbs), I would have made it 6' wide instead of 44x44" that it was constructed at. I also would go with a horse panel wire type bottom I have now versus the screen in the bottom as it lasts longer and its strength is nice for supporting the materials for storage like the smoker pipes and skirts in the bottom after we are done.

For the rest of the year, I also like to use it for storing some of my big smokers wood during the year. I just stack it across the rebar racks. It helps me keep enough wood dry for smoking 2 cooks at any time for my BBQing. I don't have to go put a tarp over my wood when it rains if I have a BBQ coming up or if my wife surprises me on short notice for cooking for the family. As I use it, I just pull from the big pile and put more in for the next cooks. Probably is more valuable as wood storage than a sausage smoke house to me these days. I mean we are talking one weekend as opposed to the rest of the year. Many folks I know that build them, justify the added cost for that very reason when I mention it..
              Last edited by Smart; 01-21-2020, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                For the quantity we do at a time (250-400lbs), I would have made it 6' wide instead of 44x44" that it was constructed at. I also would go with a horse panel wire type bottom I have now versus the screen in the bottom as it lasts longer and its strength is nice for supporting the materials for storage like the smoker pipes and skirts in the bottom after we are done.

For the rest of the year, I also like to use it for storing some of my big smokers wood during the year. I just stack it across the rebar racks. It helps me keep enough wood dry for smoking 2 cooks at any time for my BBQing. I don't have to go put a tarp over my wood when it rains if I have a BBQ coming up or if my wife surprises me on short notice for cooking for the family. As I use it, I just pull from the big pile and put more in for the next cooks. Probably is more valuable as wood storage than a sausage smoke house to me these days. I mean we are talking one weekend as opposed to the rest of the year. Many folks I know that build them, justify the added cost for that very reason when I mention it..

Got ya. Thanks Smart.

Comment

bringing it up to the top for the season. Smart, could you post the link of what you use for your casings? trying to get all the seasonings together for a smoke in a couple of weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by birddoggin View Post
                    bringing it up to the top for the season. Smart, could you post the link of what you use for your casings? trying to get all the seasonings together for a smoke in a couple of weekends.

This is where I get them as well as the size casing.... https://www.sausagemaker.com/32-35mm...-p/17-1014.htm

Comment

thanks Smart!!

Comment

Originally posted by birddoggin View Post
                        thanks Smart!!

You're welcome

Comment

Cool looking setup, brah.

Comment

Originally posted by Creedmore View Post
                            Cool looking setup, brah.

It’s aight.[emoji12][emoji23].

Still going strong but it spends more time as a BBQ wood dry storage versus a sausage smoke house these days

Comment

Smart- thanks for sharing. We used to have a full size smokehouse at my grandparents house, but my intelligent aunt tore it down because it was supposedly an eyesore. That dude was as big or bigger than your brothers, and hundreds of deer went through it even before my time.

Anyways, I noticed you are not tying your sausage like I am used to, but I am curious how are you sealing the ends? Are you tying them, or using hog rings, or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
                                Smart- thanks for sharing. We used to have a full size smokehouse at my grandparents house, but my intelligent aunt tore it down because it was supposedly an eyesore. That dude was as big or bigger than your brothers, and hundreds of deer went through it even before my time.

Anyways, I noticed you are not tying your sausage like I am used to, but I am curious how are you sealing the ends? Are you tying them, or using hog rings, or something else?

Used to tie for years. They we decided to try and remove that step. Worked like a champ. We just twist the end when it’s wet. The smoking dries it and bonds it together. No issue with leakage or opening it up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sausage 5.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	24641725

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sausage 11.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	24641724
                                Last edited by Smart; 01-26-2021, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X