Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeding Rate: I/C Cowpeas and Sunflowers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeding Rate: I/C Cowpeas and Sunflowers?

Planting just under 1.5 acres, broadcasting with fertilizer and tilling. The seed rate for peas shows 50 - 75#/acre, and sunflowers at 20-30#/acre.

Going with 25# on the sunflowers, but on the peas would you do 100 or 150#?

Same question, thanks for posting this! You using native or Peredovik sunflowers?

Comment

Originally posted by Hornfan View Post
      Same question, thanks for posting this! You using native or Peredovik sunflowers?
      Peredovik black oil is what my seed supplier carries.

Comment

Low deer density-50# per acre

High- 80# per acre

Keep sunflowers to 20#

Comment

Good mixture and that's very close to what I use on my summer plots.

I drill mine in at 50# on Iron Clay, 10# LabLab and 4# Peredovik sunflowers

Since you are broadcasting, I would go with 150# of Iron Clay total and seed the sunflowers a little heavier! Good luck and let us know how the plot turns out! The first year I planted, my lablab and peas made bean pods on the plants between the electric fence wires...every year since then, the deer have devoured them before they have a chance to make the bean pods!

Comment

Originally posted by sweldo73 View Post
            Peredovik black oil is what my seed supplier carries.
            Stupid question: will the peredovik reseed the next year like the native sunflowers will?

Comment

Stupid question: will the peredovik reseed the next year like the native sunflowers will?
              No idea, hopefully someone else here can give you an informed answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                Low deer density-50# per acre

High- 80# per acre

Keep sunflowers to 20#
                Good mixture and that's very close to what I use on my summer plots.

I drill mine in at 50# on Iron Clay, 10# LabLab and 4# Peredovik sunflowers

Since you are broadcasting, I would go with 150# of Iron Clay total and seed the sunflowers a little heavier! Good luck and let us know how the plot turns out! The first year I planted, my lablab and peas made bean pods on the plants between the electric fence wires...every year since then, the deer have devoured them before they have a chance to make the bean pods!
                Thanks for the input, guys!

Comment

No. You may get a very small percentage. But they will revert back to a small, typically multi head flower... like maybe 3-4 per acre

Comment

I’ve never had the sunflowers survive all of the way to seed production on the head. The deer typically eat the sunflowers (especially the new heads) just like they do to milo/sorghum when it heads out.

Comment

Working...
                    X