Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do u go about telling a parent she cannot drive anyore due to safety reasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding my sister and I were in lock step on it. Direct was best in our case.

Comment

I'm struggling with this as well. I tried telling him and got told I didn't know what I was talking about. I even offered to hire him a driver that and still did not work.

He still drives and I constantly worry about him.

Comment

You can submit to DPS in writing to have a medical review board look into their condition. Instructions are online. Basically a review board makes them come in for a driving test and if they fail or refuse to come, they lose their license.

That's the practical side... now making your parents agree they need to quit driving is a different matter. Good luck and prayers sent for wisdom in all of it.

Comment

Originally posted by JHoss View Post
          You can submit to DPS in writing to have a medical review board look into their condition. Instructions are online. Basically a review board makes them come in for a driving test and if they fail or refuse to come, they lose their license.

That's the practical side... now making your parents agree they need to quit driving is a different matter. Good luck and prayers sent for wisdom in all of it.
          Definitely an option but as a last resort. Keep the government out of your personal business if possible.

Comment

No good way. Loss of ones independence is a tough realization, but more importantly is their safety along with the rest of ours!

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              Been through this with a grandfather years ago. We had to take the keys away.

Best way imo is to make them understand that they are a danger to other people and they can easily cause injuries to people even children in other vehicles
              My paw paw wasn't havin it. Didn't care about other people. He was an old hard keester. So we disabled his truck. Told him it was busted and it would cost too much to fix. He hated spending money. Maw maw convinced him to give it to me to get it out of their yard lol. So me and friend went over and towed away from the house and then cranked her up and drove it off.

Comment

Friend recently went through this. Sat the parent down with family doctor and they all had a discussion about it. Opinion of the doc was enough that the parent didn't put up much of a fuss and took a lot of the burden off the kids.

Comment

Get em a self driving Tesla - problem solved

Comment

When my Mother got to that point I talked with her car insurance agent and he was happy to cancel her insurance on my behalf. I explained to her that due to her medical condition (diagnosed with dementia) that they would not be able to insure her car except in another family members name. It worked.

Comment

Fortunately my mother told me she was done, I got off easy with that part but she does live with me.

Comment

My mom had dementia and it was like trying to reason with an alcoholic or drug addict. She would not believe it. Can’t remember how it exactly how it went down but my dad basically took the keys I guess cause he started driving. She may have realized it herself and never said anything as well. It’s very hard for anyone to lose their driving priveleges. That was her independence. Just the fact that your concerned shows what type of person you are. You’ll find a way.

Comment

Several good recommendations given already. Another option is to talk to her doctor and/or eye doctor and have them be the bad guy/gal in that conversation with your mom.

Comment

Last fall I grounded myself. I was on so much pain meds that I knew it could be an issue. I sure didn't want to hurt anyone else. didn't drive from a bit after thanksgiving, to june this year.

I hope I'll know when its time later.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                              My paw paw wasn't havin it. Didn't care about other people. He was an old hard keester. So we disabled his truck. Told him it was busted and it would cost too much to fix. He hated spending money. Maw maw convinced him to give it to me to get it out of their yard lol. So me and friend went over and towed away from the house and then cranked her up and drove it off.
                              Plot twist. Paw Paw was in his late 50's and a great driver. You just wanted his truck

Comment

My Mom turned 88 yesterday. She would drive from Grandview to Arlington once a week to get her hair done. Finally she decided it was just too much of a drive for her thank God. The she had a bad fall at home and they took her t the hospital. Had nothing broken but a small concussion was enough for the Dr to tell her no driving for 3 months. She hated that but did what she was told. She was frustrated but she managed. Now she only drive within 20 miles of where she lives. Country roads she knows well and never at night. I have told her as long as she doesn't have an accident she can drive.

Comment

Working...
                                X