No announcement yet.

7mm-08 or 6.5 Creedmoor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm what does that 6.5 PRC do that a 6.5 WSM doesn't do?

Comment

Originally posted by cwd500 View Post
      long action or short action
      Context clues are in the picture that will answer you question. Look for action type.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
        It sells more Hornady product. It will in turn make them more money so they can delvelope something that's already out there but with a cooler sounding name.

Comment

7mm-08 or 6.5 Creedmoor

It'll just be production. I would go with a 6.5 WSM myself over it. Which is ultimately why I went with a 26 Nosler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by JW; 03-30-2017, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
            Uh, speak for Yaself. I didn't have a custom 26 Nosler built to just shoot 350 yards.

Oh heck, I don't begrudge any folk for their caliber or outfit choices.

I do look down upon anyone that doesn't shoot 444 though. (Wink)

Comment

Id be interested to see in 10 years which one will still have brass available. I don't fore see the WSM round being easy to come by but I could be wrong. Heck the PRC could fall on its face to but I wonder what its parent case is does anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by rather-b-fishin View Post
                Id be interested to see in 10 years which one will still have brass available. I don't fore see the WSM round being easy to come by but I could be wrong. Heck the PRC could fall on its face to but I wonder what its parent case is does anyone know?

You can just re-size for 6.5 WSM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                  I'd look at this way yonder before a Creed personally.

I'm more of a 7mm guy than a 6.5 but that looks like a pretty slick round. I'm just tired of seeing the word creedmoor everywhere and people thinking it's the greatest round ever. I have a buddy that named his son Creed and I told him I couldn't talk to him anymore...

Comment

"Big Brother to the 6.5 Creedmoor" is ridiculous marketing. While we're at it "Short/Medium action" is too.

If you don't care about short action (2.8X) and want a little more oomph there are some great choices; 6.5x284 Norma springs immediately to mind. If you really want some giddyup 264 Win Mag, 26 Nosler, 6.5 Rem Mag, and as mentioned before 6.5 WSM.

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
                      I'm more of a 7mm guy than a 6.5 but that looks like a pretty slick round. I'm just tired of seeing the word creedmoor everywhere and people thinking it's the greatest round ever. I have a buddy that named his son Creed and I told him I couldn't talk to him anymore...

I like 6.5's and 7's. But I agree 110% on that Needmoor. Reminds of when Rage started getting popular.

Comment

7mm-08

Comment

Originally posted by rather-b-fishin View Post
                          Unless you're shooting RL17 it's gonna be tough to get that speed out of the creed with the 140's. It's probably gonna be closer to the low 2700 to upper 2600's. my experience anyways shooting 4350.

Actually, not. I just finished some load development on my wife's Savage 10/110 Predator in 6.5cm using the new Lapua brass and Nosler 140gr BTs - 2.246 BTOL. With 42gr of H4350 and CCI BR4 primers I'm getting 2825fps and .3 groups. Confirmed with Chrony and MagnetoSpeed. Zero pressure signs and primer pockets still as tight as day 1 after 5 firings, so far.

Comment

You'll actually be able to buy ammo for it and shoot heavy for caliber bullets seated long in a short action.

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
                              Actually, not. I just finished some load development on my wife's Savage 10/110 Predator in 6.5cm using the new Lapua brass and Nosler 140gr BTs - 2.246 BTOL. With 42gr of H4350 and CCI BR4 primers I'm getting 2825fps and .3 groups. Confirmed with Chrony and MagnetoSpeed. Zero pressure signs and primer pockets still as tight as day 1 after 5 firings, so far.

That's pretty good! I had the 10 predator max and couldn't get those speeds unless with RL17, and it didn't shoot worth a flip. Shot IMR4350 good but slow. I was shooting CCI large mag primers and hornady brass

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                                You'll actually be able to buy ammo for it and shoot heavy for caliber bullets seated long in a short action.
                                Maybe you'll be able to find ammo, maybe not. Yeah, it'll shoot heavy bullets at mag length, just like my 6.5WSM does, only about 130fps slower. I'm running 3230fps with a 140 Berger and WSM brass is here to stay, there are too many fans of the 300 and 270 WSM for it not to. That's precisely the reason I went with the 270WSM as a parent case. The SAUM was picking up steam, but you could (and I think this is still the case) only get brass from GAP, the 7SAUM parent brass is hard to find. Additionally, the WSM case has more capacity than the SAUM case. I could also have gone with the 7WSM case, as it's diffent and has still more capacity than the 270 WSM, but again, that brass, and even loaded ammo, is rarer than hen's teeth. It just never caught on like the 300 and 270 versions did. The 6.5 WSM is a wildcat for sure, but it's a very simple conversion from 270WSM, literally a single pass through the 6.5 die and you are done. I did need to turn necks, but only because the reamer used was a tighter neck and the Norma brass I bought has thick case walls.

I like the PRC, but it's a round designed to appeal to a very specific niche market of PRS style shooters where the game they play imposes arbitrary speed limits on their rifles. It's an all new case design if I remember right, using a magnum bolt face, no belt, and no rebated rim, so less volume than a SAUM or WSM, designed specifically to make 3100fps for PRS matches. No parent case to form it from, and no other rounds currently use it as a parent case, so I'm betting unless it catches on like wildfire, it'll be another 7WSM where brass and ammo is non - existent/ mail order only. Maybe it'll catch on, with Hornady behind it, it's far more likely than if Remington was marketing it, just like the Creedmore caught on, even though a 260 Remington does the exact same things, better. For those of us who really enjoy shooting way out there, and don't care about velocity restrictions, it's a compromise cartridge, and, well, screw compromise, I wanna go fast. Is anybody actually chambering rifles in the PRC yet? I mean big manufacturers, not custom smiths.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                                Last edited by txfireguy2003; 04-02-2017, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X