No announcement yet.

22-250 or .308 ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got multiple rifles but whenever I just ride with a chance to see pigs, coyotes or anything else that needs to be dead the 22-250 is in my front seat

Comment

22-250

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
        Split it in half and get a .243

Even better .260 rem

Personally I love my 308 and it is a very good all around gun. However I am considering picking up a 22-250 myself. If I had to pick one it would be the 308. I think you will get more use out of it. Imo.

Comment

22-250 with what you already got. 22-250 is a great round just match the right bullet for the game your after. The barnes bullets are devastating on the piggies.

Comment

I would go with the 308, my brother has one, a ruger American we shoot 200 grain Sierra boat tails out of it great gun, affordable too.

Comment

I'd go 308. You have plenty of light bullet throwers. With the 308 you can go from 100gr to 200 gr. a lot more versatile. My 2pennies.

Comment

For the shooting you describe, I don't see any point in getting a .308 if you already have an 06.

Comment

.250.... The right bullet gives you best of both worlds

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    I have both and love both calibers. Man, that's a tough one.

Very tough. I'd say I've taken more animals with my 22-250.

Comment

Originally posted by clayg08 View Post
                      Got one of those.... I have similar calibers to both, just wanting something new
                      If it's just to get a new gun buy something different in a caliber you already have. It's cheaper in the long run.

If you just want a new caliber buy the 308 hands down. Cheapest 30 caliber on the market today.

If you are open to really cool calibers that might scratch that itch 22-250 and 308 are kind of blah mainstream. ..

17 Rem, 204 Ruger, 6mm Norma BR, 7/08 Rem, 223 WSSM, 243 WSSM, 220 Swift, 6mm Rem, 25-06 Rem, 284 win, 6.5/284 Norma, 257 Weatherby, 264 Win Mag, or 270 weatherby Mag.

Now there's a fun little list. Lol.

Comment

.308 fan here, I've got a DPMS LR-308 and a Rem 700 308. I prefer a heavier bullet for game.

Comment

I love my 22-250, it is a really good caliber. Mine has taken Axis, white tail, fallow, and a bunch of pigs. Can't go wrong with either one you choose, just buy them both!

Comment

.22-250 would be my vote. It is one of my favorite calibers, shoots flat with low recoil. It's my standard off-season ranch gun. Great for varmints, pigs, etc. Can be used for cull and doe hunting in the hands of the right shooter and reasonable range.

But, I've got two .308's as well.

Really boils down to what you want to do with them.

Comment

22-250 with a fast twist rate. sling some 77 grain matchkings as fast as you can get em.

Comment

Originally posted by clayg08 View Post
                                I have, but it looks like mucho dinero for a "good" one, and I don't know that much about them. The DPMS G2 looked like it was in the ballpark, but.....

I've been researching those also, but it's a round I've never played with
                                You need to play with the 7mm-08. It has the recoil of a 223 and the ballistics of a 270 out to about 300 yards. The bullet is 139GR. I have a Marlin XL7 and love it Mine likes the Hornady whitetail rounds. Quite simply it is a 308 that has been necked down. During the ammo crunch, this was one of the few rounds on the shelves still. At $21.00 or so a box it is fairly cheap to shoot.

Comment

Working...
                                X