Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Public Hunting on Caddo National Grasslands Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone do any good?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

I went and scouted Caddo near Bois D'Arc; saw quite a few large doe.

Comment

I hunted there last year. Only got to scout one day because it was a busy year and didn’t have time. I hunted the north unit and found some good sign and saw two does. I believe it can be good if you scout the heck out of it. I’ll be back this year. You should definetly go see it lots of good transitions and real thick stuff. Good luck up there buddy. Let us know if you get one.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasArrow View Post
          I hunted there last year. Only got to scout one day because it was a busy year and didn’t have time. I hunted the north unit and found some good sign and saw two does. I believe it can be good if you scout the heck out of it. I’ll be back this year. You should definetly go see it lots of good transitions and real thick stuff. Good luck up there buddy. Let us know if you get one.
          You aren't wrong, there are some extremely thick woods on both the east and west side of Coffee Mill Lake. I wonder how late into the summer it is when folks start to really scout the North Unit..

Comment

Originally posted by TomSawyer View Post
            You aren't wrong, there are some extremely thick woods on both the east and west side of Coffee Mill Lake. I wonder how late into the summer it is when folks start to really scout the North Unit..

I’m not really sure. Iv started mine already, not getting a deer last year has really pushed me in early this year. The wind changed on me mid day last year I’m and I went down and hunted the south part more piney and open on that end but definetly too open for stalk hunting.

Comment

I will be hunting out there this year. i generally hunt on a family lease up near lake cooper but i wanted to give some public land a shot this year. i went and scouted alittle bit last friday with the wife so needless to say i didnt get to stay out there too long but i did see a TON of pig wallows and saw a couple does.

Comment

So I called and talked to the guy who runs the harvest reporting, he said that the deer population is only like 1 deer per 157 acres. No does were harvested at all last season, and only 16 bucks were taken between Ladonia and Bois De Arc COMBINED. 9 of which were taken during rifle season opener and checked at the mandatory deer check stations in person. That's assuming that everyone reported their harvest like they were supposed too anyways. It isn't easy hunting up there, low deer populations, add hunting pressure and big woods makes a difficult combination, especially during rifle season. It can be hard to find where to start in the big woods, bedding and destination food source locations can be hard to locate when oaks are literally everywhere. Early season and bow season wasn't too bad, I only ran into a few people and the deer sightings were much better. Luckily I harvested mine on Nov 1. I would say hunt hard, hunt aggressive and hunt early. Once November 2nd hit, the camps filled up, corn and salt blocks started showing up, as did the trash and beer cans and doe in heat scent spray bottles, and all the deer disappeared. Avoid units with camps, or just go far into the woods past those guys, but do it early before they get out of bed and start bumping deer. Most of the guys are going out, hunting the same spot they always have that's not too far back into the woods, and they're only shooting young bucks if any at all. Most of the big deer will only visit their corn or salt blocks after dark anyways. The first deer to get up and move into their bait is going to be the young bucks and does. You will find several tree stands if you go scouting, mark them on the map and avoid those areas. These guys also rattle and grunt and use scents in abundance, don't buy into all the gimmicks, and don't blindly grunt, rattle or use scents or you will spook these deer. I suffered the heat the first year and scouted pre season during the summer and it was miserable, but I had to do it. I was successful though so it was worth it, but now I do my scouting during or post season only. Be careful running cameras, I haven’t had any stolen, but the deer do see them and look at them. Get no glows, run them up high angled down, and don’t check them very often. Try to leave the area alone until you hunt it.
                Last edited by firemedic731; 06-30-2020, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by firemedic731 View Post
                  Try to leave the area alone until you hunt it.
                  This is the best public land hunting advice I can give anyone. Pay attention to wind as well. Here where I hunt our wind is basically north or south. So I have many north wind and south wind spots to choose from. I have many in case someone else is in that spot I just go to another one.

Comment

Does anyone know anything about the public land permit? do you just have to buy it like a secondary tag? or is it an online course?

Comment

If you are talking about the Annual Public Hunting Permit (APH) as I recall its just and additive to your hunting license.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                        If you are talking about the Annual Public Hunting Permit (APH) as I recall its just and additive to your hunting license.
                        Correct.

Comment

I don't think the APH permit applies to the LBJ or Caddo national grasslands those are federal not state

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                            I don't think the APH permit applies to the LBJ or Caddo national grasslands those are federal not state

Definitely required for Caddo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah ill second that, I hunted Caddo almost entirely last season, I can promise you the APH is required in addition to your hunting license and hunters ed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
                                Definitely required for Caddo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                I agree, required!

Comment

Working...
                                X