100yrd arrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100yrd arrow

I would like to try & kill a hog this year with my bow around a 100yrds. What arrow set up would y’all recommend? Looking for a happy medium between speed & momentum. I’ll be shooting my Full Throttle. I’m shooting 300spine fmj’s right now but I’m getting a little bit of tail whip but I have done any tune yet. Just shooting it at 20 & 40 to settle the strings in. It’s shooting 543gr now at 285.

You have to do a live hunt on this one. Going to great. Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great slugs!

What weight head are you using currently and FOC?

Comment

Should be fun. Hogs move a lot. Going to be tuff hitting where needed.

But since this is what you want to do. Yardage is going to be critical no matter what. So go with mass. Build mass with foc. The mass in the front will help you keep the shaft in line. The mass in front will help with impact.

I would not shoot fmj. Good arrow horrible for foc. And your going to want foc.

Bump that arrow up to 575. Going to loose less then 10fps prolly closer to only 8fps.

If I was building this arrow for my self I would be using either a grizzly stik or black eagle. 240/250spine.

100 yards is a long way to just using standard tuning for this type of hunting. I recommend verifying power stroke, nock tune bareshaft, then cut and trim.

Lots to get ready for long distance hunting

Comment

What enewman said, plus a lot more!

Tuning, both arrow and bow, will be critical for this distance. Normal tuning isn't going to cut it, you will need to line tune for that hunting distance. Greg Poole has a good video of how to do this, AKA BowJunkie Media, look it up on youtube.

More importantly is you and your set up. Small things, like where your peep is set up in relation to your yardage tape, will make a BIG difference when shooting at 100 yards.

Your form must be spot on, a 1/2 deviation in elevation (at the shot) will be something like a 13" difference in impact point.

This isn't something to be taken lightly, this is going to require some work...

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
            What enewman said, plus a lot more!

Tuning, both arrow and bow, will be critical for this distance. Normal tuning isn't going to cut it, you will need to line tune for that hunting distance. Greg Poole has a good video of how to do this, AKA BowJunkie Media, look it up on youtube.

More importantly is you and your set up. Small things, like where your peep is set up in relation to your yardage tape, will make a BIG difference when shooting at 100 yards.

Your form must be spot on, a 1/2 deviation in elevation (at the shot) will be something like a 13" difference in impact point.

This isn't something to be taken lightly, this is going to require some work...
            Yes lots of work. A little bobble and a total miss.

Comment

Good sights make archery shots longer and longer with practice. I went to HTH with the intention of breaking the ranch long shot record. The standing record was 65 yards. I was practicing nightly between 55-95 yards. I have the accutouch 5 pin with a 100 yard dial down capability.
              Jason shot his ram at 74 so I backed up to 94 and let it fly. Couple inches high in the shoulder blade. Lethal hit but I followed up with a second closer shot for mercy.

This was a small bodied black Hawaiian ram. I would put a little more weight into the FOC as noted by others. You’ll need the KE on impact for a pig. I am shooting Easton Axis Nanos 5mm tipped with a rage hypo. It barely made it thru the shoulder blade of the ram.

Good luck.

LOTB

Comment

Are manufacturers spine rating pretty close to one another? Say GT & Black Eagle? The only 250 spine I could find any of my local shops was GT Pierce. He had the foc weights & fusion vanes all in stock. I picked up 6 arrows to play around with. Had had 3 arrows cut one at 31”, 30” & 29” to see how the different length fly. But if I get a set up in GT to fly good, would the same weight & foc in Black Eagle fly the same? The GT’s are gonna to light, I think they’ll end up in the 466-480gr area. And want to run in 550-575gr area.

Comment

Originally posted by Black-N-Red View Post
                  Are manufacturers spine rating pretty close to one another? Say GT & Black Eagle? The only 250 spine I could find any of my local shops was GT Pierce. He had the foc weights & fusion vanes all in stock. I picked up 6 arrows to play around with. Had had 3 arrows cut one at 31”, 30” & 29” to see how the different length fly. But if I get a set up in GT to fly good, would the same weight & foc in Black Eagle fly the same? The GT’s are gonna to light, I think they’ll end up in the 466-480gr area. And want to run in 550-575gr area.
                  Spine yes, within reason anyway. The big difference is going to be the drag coefficient, everything must be the same or the drag coefficient changes and that will change the amount of drop the arrow has at distance. FOC has a little to do with cast as well, but not near as much as drag.

550-575 for 100 yards is pretty heavy, it will be tough to get the sight low enough for an arrow like that. I'm thinking 480-500 is a better weight, and probably closer to 480 gr. Gonna hafta think of the whole system when building this.

Of course, I don't know what you have planned for this (sight, anchor, etc). There are always work arounds.

Flying well is going to be paramount for this type of hunt, I would concentrate on that and not try to hit a total weight just yet. See where the sights and everything are going to end up first.

On edit: I reread your original post and see you are getting blazing speed out of that Full Throttle. Having said that, will your sight go to 100 yards now without interference with the arrow? If so, I would build to 575 gr. all FOC.
                  Last edited by Rat; 01-21-2019, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                    Spine yes, within reason anyway. The big difference is going to be the drag coefficient, everything must be the same or the drag coefficient changes and that will change the amount of drop the arrow has at distance. FOC has a little to do with cast as well, but not near as much as drag.

550-575 for 100 yards is pretty heavy, it will be tough to get the sight low enough for an arrow like that. I'm thinking 480-500 is a better weight, and probably closer to 480 gr. Gonna hafta think of the whole system when building this.

Of course, I don't know what you have planned for this (sight, anchor, etc). There are always work arounds.

Flying well is going to be paramount for this type of hunt, I would concentrate on that and not try to hit a total weight just yet. See where the sights and everything are going to end up first.

On edit: I reread your original post and see you are getting blazing speed out of that Full Throttle. Having said that, will your sight go to 100 yards now without interference with the arrow? If so, I would build to 575 gr. all FOC.
                    Nice edit there rat. Lol

Comment

I realize about the drag & all that stuff, is just trying to get an idea on arrow length & foc for the 250 spine arrows. As of now I have a 288fps tape on my sight & there is plenty of room under the sight housing. Thanks for all the input on this. I’m getting pretty excited for this build, should be fun & very informative.

As for fletching I have fusion vanes, should I run a 4 fletch? I also have some of the aae small fletching. Can’t remember the actual name but they quite a bit smaller than the fusions.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                        Nice edit there rat. Lol
                        Sometimes my brain just skips right over the obvious!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                          Should be fun. Hogs move a lot. Going to be tuff hitting where needed.

But since this is what you want to do. Yardage is going to be critical no matter what. So go with mass. Build mass with foc. The mass in the front will help you keep the shaft in line. The mass in front will help with impact.

I would not shoot fmj. Good arrow horrible for foc. And your going to want foc.

Bump that arrow up to 575. Going to loose less then 10fps prolly closer to only 8fps.

If I was building this arrow for my self I would be using either a grizzly stik or black eagle. 240/250spine.

100 yards is a long way to just using standard tuning for this type of hunting. I recommend verifying power stroke, nock tune bareshaft, then cut and trim.

Lots to get ready for long distance hunting
                          How much foc should I be looking for?

I put some shafts together this morning, GT Pierce 250, 4 fletched with fusion vanes, I did a 31” shaft, 30”shaft & a 29” shaft, 40gr behind the insert & 125gr head. Got the following foc

31” shaft-14.06%
                          30” shaft-14.52%
                          29” shaft-15%

Haven’t shot any of these yet. I’ll be shooting them this evening to see how they fly.

Comment

I put some shafts together this morning, GT Pierce 250, 4 fletched with fusion vanes, I did a 31” shaft, 30”shaft & a 29” shaft, 40gr behind the insert & 125gr head. Got the following foc

31” shaft-14.06%
                            30” shaft-14.52%
                            29” shaft-15%

Haven’t shot any of these yet. I’ll be shooting them this evening to see how they fly.
                            Between 15% and 18% tune the best for me, once I get over 18% the groups start to open up. Not at 20 yards mind you, at distance. Yours my be different, just gonna hafta shoot 'em and see; but I would start at 15% and up from there.

Comment

31” shaft-14.06%
                              30” shaft-14.52%
                              29” shaft-15%

I’m with RAT. 15%to 18%.

Now it won’t hurt to play with this. I run my arrows around 25%. But I’m short. So my arrows are 4” shorter then your short one listed.

If you do a good tune. I would test the three you listed. Going from 14% to 15% is an increase of 7.2% increase. In reality that’s noting at all. And as far as penetration goes is nothing. You would need to get to 20% to see the difference in penetration. But since we are shooting long distance we need the foc to be where the arrow groups the best. This you will need to play with.

Comment

Working...
                              X