Hunting Handguns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joebriles View Post
    Just picked it up!!! Can’t wait to shoot it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What’s the story on that one?

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
      What’s the story on that one?

No story yet, heck I haven’t gotten a chance to shoot it. It’s a S&W 460XVR with a 14” barrel. I’m going to put a scope on it and try and shoot some pigs at around 200 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by joebriles View Post
        No story yet, heck I haven’t gotten a chance to shoot it. It’s a S&W 460XVR with a 14” barrel. I’m going to put a scope on it and try and shoot some pigs at around 200 yards.

I had one, got rid of it. I didnt have a break on it though. Hopefully that break helps alot, cuz without it working its not fun. Them performance center are sweet tho.

Comment

I can't decide between a .44 mag or 10mm...

Comment

Got a 30/30 revolver I might part with

Comment

Originally posted by cbrown View Post
              Well a 44 wins in every conceivable category other than capacity.

So you have to decide do you want more power, ability to shoot high power to low power loads back to back with complete reliability, ability to shoot any profile bullet with complete reliability, basically twice the energy, bullet weights from 180ish to over 300 grains, the ability to shoot ratshot or full wadcutters with complete reliability, if in a Smith, the pretty much best trigger available, generally more accuracy (revolver vs auto), or if you want to have 15 rounds. That is pretty much what it comes down to

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stickers View Post
                Got a 30/30 revolver I might part with
                Not really in the market but I would love to see some pics of this revolver.

Comment

.44 hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
                    .44 hands down.
                    Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter or Smith and Wesson Performance 629 Hunter?

Comment

V

That's a tough call. Both will serve you well and I've owned both. Both can have perfectly tuned triggers so that's a wash but my preference is Smith. Their grips are unreal comfortable which makes a huge difference with felt recoil. I also prefer double action over single simply for the unlikely event of needing to empty a cylinder quickly on something bigger and meaner than me.

But seriously, either is a winner.

Comment

The ruger leaves you quite a bit of $$ for a scope....

Comment

The only thing I would be wary of, (and I love Ruger single actions), is quality control in the Rugers. It can be hit and miss as far as cosmetics. I've spent a lot of time on the Ruger Forum, and I've seen all manners of things that I would not accept on a new firearm. I wouldn't buy one online unless I could return it. I would want to inspect it before buying.

An action job on a Ruger SA will run $85 to over a $100 and while it's not necessary, it is desirable. The Smith will be great out of the box. That said, I own two S&Ws and five Rugers. Three have had action jobs by Alan Harton and except for the long hammer fall, they are great. If you stick with factory loads the Smith may be your gun, but if you intend to hotrod, the Ruger is a tank !

Maybe the best of both worlds, the Ruger Super Redhawk ? (I think they're fugly, but what do I know)

Comment

My Rugers, from top right, SBH .44 mag, BH Bisley .45 Colt, and Flattop BH .44 Special.
                            Top left, Bisley SBH .44 mag, and below it a Single Six convertible.22 LR or .22 mag
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X