Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gutters

Please school me on gutters from two standpoints:

1. I have an old two story home with lots of trees around it. I'm constantly cleaning gutters and it seems they are always in need of another cleaning. I've been reading on installing a gutter brush, gutter screen, gutterstuff, etc. Looking for the most effective solution. Anyone have experience with any of these issues on a home with lots of surrounding trees?

2. One of my downspouts needs to drain further out into my yard. As it is, it's draining onto a concrete gutter footing but collecting next two the house and seeping under the house. Improving the grading would be a significant effort due to flower beds and shrubs. Basically I need some type of system that attaches to the gutter and diverts the water out into the yard. I just spent $30 on a few of the plastic gutter extensions to get me through tonight's rain but I'm looking for a more permanent solution?

Thanks in advance

I bought these at Lowe's. They weren't that hard to install but I had to make my own brackets for the tin. They were cheap and have worked great.
    Attached Files

Comment

Gutter screens will solve your problem as above poster said. There are several options, and there are 3 options at hardware stores. The reason there are 3 options are that each gutter is built by a different company, so if you're not in the industry, buy all 3 and pick out your best fit and look at youtube to make sure you're installing correctly.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and the pics. Is it important to use a screen that can be removed without too much difficulty in order to clean out the debris that gets through the screen?

Any thoughts on the 2nd question?

Comment

I want the water hitting the ground to evenly water the foundation. No gutters......

Comment

i dont have gutters, but need/want some

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
            I want the water hitting the ground to evenly water the foundation. No gutters......

this sounds good for a simple roof with 1 peak or ranch style home. with all the different roof lines on my house i get water beating down in some isolated areas. plus it would be nice to walk up to one of my doors and not have to pass through a sheet of water falling.

we have a lot of oaks around me, neighbor has what looks like sponges that fit inside the gutters.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/gutterfill-pro-dc-5/prod20994568.ip?&source=ifpla&CAWELAID=73001030000 1186892&pid=_CSE_Google_PLA_1013571808&wl0=&wl1=g& wl2=c&wl3=239352730459&wl4=aud-427505133026la-499043838392&wl5=9061130&wl6=&wl7=&wl9=pla&wl10=12 47713&wl11=online&wl12={productid}&wl13=&wl15=5534 5292532&wl17=1o1&veh=sem&kclid=128e1320-0aec-4c34-acf8-26ce18082ea0&gclid=CjwKCAiAo8jgBRAVEiwAJUXKqAc45Ki 7gG6XNsyxvpATTyJNCo289F2koc0oQdyike1cO-0KwC8vsBoCFd8QAvD_BwE

they seem to work ok for him.

Comment

Gutter Guard doesn't work. I know first hand!!!

Comment

Just walked in the house soaking wet from cleaning gutters in the rain. Sat down to relax and scan through tbh. What a coincidence.

I have several red oaks and they fill the gutters several times in the fall. Going to get screens to try.

Comment

Part 2 just build a french drain. You can design it to where your water pops out where ever you would like. Youtube has a ton of videos

Comment

I just installed Atlas Gutterglove on one side of my garage that was filling with leaves, twigs, and acorns. Since doing that, I don't have that issue any longer and they were easy to install.

Comment

Thanks for all of the feedback

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                      Part 2 just build a french drain. You can design it to where your water pops out where ever you would like. Youtube has a ton of videos
                      Every bone, muscle, and tendon in my body hurts just watching those being built but that would do the trick

Comment

Originally posted by Plain Lucky View Post
                        Thanks for all of the feedback

Every bone, muscle, and tendon in my body hurts just watching those being built but that would do the trick
                        rent a mini excavator from home depo. They are fun and will get it done easy. Cheaper than labor prices. Rent it after 6 and you do not have to bring it back till 9am so you get a longer rental for a 4 hour bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                          rent a mini excavator from home depo. They are fun and will get it done easy. Cheaper than labor prices. Rent it after 6 and you do not have to bring it back till 9am so you get a longer rental for a 4 hour bill.
                          ok, now you're talking
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X