No announcement yet.

Knee Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had my left knee done December 2012 and am grateful every day that I did. I might eventually have the right done, but will have to wait until the time is right. That is, when my schedule will allow me time to recover/rehab.

My surgeon is pretty conservative and wouldn't allow me to return to work for 2 months. However, I was moving fairly independently long before that - if I recall, I drove myself to buy groceries about 2 weeks post surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
      Anyone ever had both replaced at the same time?
      Lots of folks always ask about that, but most of the surgeons she has worked with over the years would not do 'em both at the same time, but it is not unheard of... You'll need to be in good physical shape especially in the upper body cause you're gonna need good strong arms to compensate for the lack of leg power for a while...

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
        Anyone ever had both replaced at the same time?

My grandmother did. She didn't want to go thru the pain of rehab twice.

Comment

Did my right knee last September and just did my left knee on Feb 5. Both have healed up great. My surgeon doesn’t want you really doing much of anything for the first six weeks post surgery except rest, ice, and elevate. Basic exercises are heal slides and quad strengthening exercises. Started driving at 2 weeks post surgery. Do not slack on your physical therapy it will make all the difference. I’m able to bend my left knee to 128 degrees at this point and my right over 130. If you don’t work inside where you can sit, I’d say the minimum time off would be 6 weeks. But don’t rush it. Good luck on your surgery. Ice is your friend and take your pain meds.

Comment

I know several people that have there knees replaced. A few did one at a time and few did both at the same time. The ones that did it one at a time almost didn’t do the other knee. Due to the physical therapy and pain.

Good luck either way. I don’t think you will be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
              Lots of folks always ask about that, but most of the surgeons she has worked with over the years would not do 'em both at the same time, but it is not unheard of... You'll need to be in good physical shape especially in the upper body cause you're gonna need good strong arms to compensate for the lack of leg power for a while...
              Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              My grandmother did. She didn't want to go thru the pain of rehab twice.
              I need both of mine done. I know it will be tough doing both at the same time but I sure would like to get it all done and over with at once.

Comment

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
                Well for several years now I have been suffering from knee pain. After multiple surgeries, years of injections, and taking daily anti inflammatory and pain drugs I am finally going to have a total knee replacement next month, then the other knee done in Dec.
                So my Questions are
                Who has had it done?
                How long until you returned to work? I don't have a desk job
                What should I expect on total recovery?
                Thanks
                My dad had it done when he was around 65. He was pretty mobile about two weeks after. He was retired though and didn't have to worry about going back to work.

I have a friend that had it done and it was about 3 weeks before he returned to work.

Comment

I'm going to nurse mine along as long as possible. Doc told me last time he scoped it was way worse than he expected. That was last year. At 49, I think Im too young for replacement, but this week I ripped some more cartilage taking my dang boot off, and been on Advil all week trying to get swelling down. I dread this.........

Comment

Originally posted by rickgarcia76 View Post
                    I feel pain behind my knee cap when walking up stairs. Is this the beginning of what will end up in knee replacement later on?
                    Not necessarily. I had some scar tissue on the back of my knee cap that caused pain behind my knee cap. When I had arthroscopic surgery for a torn meniscus the surgeon polished the back of my knee cap and it has been pain free since.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                      I'm going to nurse mine along as long as possible. Doc told me last time he scoped it was way worse than he expected. That was last year. At 49, I think Im too young for replacement, but this week I ripped some more cartilage taking my dang boot off, and been on Advil all week trying to get swelling down. I dread this.........
                      In the same boat, been holding out for about 3 years, time is about to come.

Comment

Been searching most of the day and watching vids on it also.
                        When they talk about replacement it is really adding a few parts shaped to replace the duty of the joint. Surface replacement. Two ways to do it. Screws into femur and tibia or both bone sides are roughed up and the backside of the replacement is glued and bone grows up through the part and fuses like plaster goes into wire lath. Fiber mesh into bondo. Rebar to concrete. You get it. Titanium and Teflon seem to be the recipe.

Comment

My dad did he loved it got it over with was golfing
                          In about a month he was 74

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                            Not necessarily. I had some scar tissue on the back of my knee cap that caused pain behind my knee cap. When I had arthroscopic surgery for a torn meniscus the surgeon polished the back of my knee cap and it has been pain free since.
                            Same thing happened to me after my first acl repair. He went back in two years later to clean up my knee and the cap had all kinds of scar tissue behind it. Cleaned it all up and that was that.

Comment

Well step 2 done
                              I had to get a complete physical done yesterday. Next week I have to go to a cardiologist for a stress test that's gonna suck with 2 bad knees. Man when you get over 55 they act like your old or something.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                                My wife has been an ortho surgical nurse for close to 30 years... Technology and quality of replacement has improved drastically over the last 5 or 6 years... The new joints last longer now too from what I understand. The degree of success to a total knee replacement is the rehab. Do EVERYTHING they tell you to do, but don't try to rush it and over-do it... They've been doing this for a long time and the system works if you follow it to a T. You should be 80% or better in 6-8 weeks, but that other 20% will take some time and cannot be rushed... Most people like yourself are so much better off after the surgery that the 80% seems like 100% to them. One note of caution though, don't rush into the second knee until you're comfortable with the first one. Rehab on the second one will go better if you can depend on the first one completely.

You should be just fine!
                                That is the key. Do the rehab as instructed.

Comment

Working...
                                X