Starting a Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting a Business

I'm looking towards to wisdom of the green screen to get ideas of what kind of business I should start. I'm a jack of all trades kind of guy, but because of that I don't know what I would want to concentrate my efforts on enough to start investing a lot of time and money in.

For example, I know I can build fences, but only the basic fence and gate. When you start talking about intricate details like ornamental gates and trim, I'm out, but I know that's what people are going for now. There are other tasks I can do, such as handyman stuff, but again nothing too specific.

My day job is as a firefighter\paramedic, but I'd like to have something to build on that I can call my own.

So what are some ideas y'all can give me?

There's a steal of a complete cerakote business for sale on here..

Comment

Why not try out a handyman business. Look up the app Handy.com. They will bring you clients looking for a handyman to do work for them. If you like the work and the business model, you can start building up your own clientele. They will get a percentage of you $ but you do not have a marketing cost either to start with. Quickbooks for billing your own clients and MileIQ for keeping track of your miles as a right off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This can also give you an idea of what you like to provide as a service and what you do not want to do. Dedicate a certain amount of time to the decision and stick it out. After that decide if you want to keep going or change it up.

Comment

Originally posted by jbhunting39 View Post
          Why not try out a handyman business. Look up the app Handy.com. They will bring you clients looking for a handyman to do work for them. If you like the work and the business model, you can start building up your own clientele. They will get a percentage of you $ but you do not have a marketing cost either to start with. Quickbooks for billing your own clients and MileIQ for keeping track of your miles as a right off.

Not a bad idea. Thanks

Comment

I’m in the same boat as you brother. Trying to find something to do with my days off that I enjoy. Right now I just help some of the guys with their business to make a little side change. My brother does lights and while it makes a crap ton of money I could care less. I’m really wanting to get into buying and selling cars. My dad has done it off and on for years and makes good money so I think I’m going to give it a try!

Comment

I started doing handyman stuff about 4 months ago. Mainly working for a property management company
              There is a lot of work out there.

Comment

I'm not trying to bring you down, but the first sign you probably shouldn't just yet, is not knowing what you want to do. Find what you love and then figure out how to make money doing it.

But depending on your situation, handyman is a good start to fence building with very little investment and if you enjoy it and want to grow include more things such as complete fence services, welding, and whatnot. If you're tech savvy a computer repair shop and then build into more with it. If you're really tech savvy a small wireless internet provider can be done for relatively cheap as long as you can get a small customer base and a dedicated backhaul to your location.

This may sound counter-intuitive but don't grow too fast. If you ease into it and make sure you give excellent service to every customer you will grow fast enough.

Comment

I work on boat lifts and boat docks. I rebuild irrigation pumps and piping systems as well. It's a bit slower during fall and winter, perfect for long weekends hunting and just supplementing a retirement income. Or paying for your ranch improvements. There aren't a lot of folks doing it so there is usually some work around. Finding a niche can help.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by firemanjj82 View Post
                    Not a bad idea. Thanks

YW. One of the other guys is talking right. Property Management Companies, RE Investors, Home Owners, Smaller Apt Buildings that do not keep make ready guys. Tons of work if you like it. Go to RE Meeting and pass it biz cards.

Comment

Dedicate the time to it and see what happens. We just dedicated 3 years to a Residential Lawn Service Business. 1st 2 years, we loved it, working outside, setting our own schedule. 3rd year. We hated it. High turn over with employees and customers. Us doing most of the work and getting burned out. High marketing cost for a moderate return. Seasonal as hell. Closing it down in about a week to move onto to something else.

Been raising my own Nightcrawlers for a few months now. Seriously considering moving to Lake of The Ozarks or somewhere there is a lot of recreational fishing and opening up alittle bait shop. Sponsoring some catfish tourneys. Going to cat fishing tourneys with a truck load of worms and selling out at the loading ramp.

Our marketing is us going fishing and videoing the results. Don’t get much better than that. Best part about it is I only have to buy inventory once. As long as I feed and take care of them, they reproduce on their own. They compound themselves every 60 days after maturity by 4-20. Meaning one egg hatches 4-20 worms every 60 days.

Comment

I talked to a UTV dealer the other day and he showed me how buried in regulation/taxation he is under.

Would sure be nice to see that mountain before starting the journey.

Comment

My brother started his own handyman deal here near Cypress about 3 months ago. No shortage of work if you can do a little bit of everything. Pay is pretty dang good too.

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                            I’m in the same boat as you brother. Trying to find something to do with my days off that I enjoy. Right now I just help some of the guys with their business to make a little side change. My brother does lights and while it makes a crap ton of money I could care less. I’m really wanting to get into buying and selling cars. My dad has done it off and on for years and makes good money so I think I’m going to give it a try!

I know some tote the note car guys that make a freaking killing. Talk about mailbox money. Only thing I would be concerned with is the service issue. Could get pricey if you do not manage it properly. One thing I have learned in buying and re-selling anything (real estate for me) you make your money when you BUY, not when you sell. If you buy at the wrong price, you are screwed from the beginning. Set a price per unit and stick to it.

Comment

Originally posted by jbhunting39 View Post

Been raising my own Nightcrawlers for a few months now. Seriously considering moving to Lake of The Ozarks or somewhere there is a lot of recreational fishing and opening up alittle bait shop. Sponsoring some catfish tourneys. Going to cat fishing tourneys with a truck load of worms and selling out at the loading ramp.

Our marketing is us going fishing and videoing the results. Don’t get much better than that. Best part about it is I only have to buy inventory once. As long as I feed and take care of them, they reproduce on their own. They compound themselves every 60 days after maturity by 4-20. Meaning one egg hatches 4-20 worms every 60 days.

You could do Dermestid Beetles as well. Raise your own colony, sell excess, and do Euro mounts for clients.

Comment

Working...
                              X