Advice on Skid Steer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on Skid Steer

We built a house on our very own ranchette and I am considering buying a bobcat to help with the never ending dirt work. I own a 55hp 2wd tractor but have had a guy with bobcat helping lately and he can do three times what I can. We dug a hung pond and have access to a ton of dirt but moving it with a tractor is slooow. I can only spend 20k or so. I know my budget is extremely limiting but Is this even possible? Looking for any and all suggestions as far as drive type, cab, make, HP etc. thanks!

For your budget and since it will be older. I wouldn’t only stick with 2 brands. Cat being 1st bobcat second. Whole reason behind that is parts availability. A 60-70hp machine is where I would be looking for with tracks. Sounds like it will be on dirty the majority of the time so a track machine is far superior. I would strongly suggest reading up on all the pros and cons of the model before you go look at one you run across.

Comment

Buy a Cat machine if you are very tall, I'm 6'3 and hate the foot controls in a Bobcat. A cab with ac is worth getting a loan, one day in the heat with sweat and dirt and you will understand. You can also get a brush hog attachment which makes mowing a breeze. Buy the biggest you can afford, but don't get one with DEF go with an older unit.

Comment

We run a 2013 bobcat w/ cab and air, it’s a wheeled unit and would prefer a tracked unit. It has around 2500hrs and just getting broke in. As mentioned above keep some cash in hand for attachments.

Comment

Find a lower hour (under 1k hour) older machine. You won’t have to worry about sensors and exhaust filters and such. More basic the better. 60-75hp skidsteer will embarrass your tractor any day of the week on dirt work.

Comment

You could probably find a used bobcat t550 for that.
            68hp
            2000 lb operating capacity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
              Buy a Cat machine if you are very tall, I'm 6'3 and hate the foot controls in a Bobcat. A cab with ac is worth getting a loan, one day in the heat with sweat and dirt and you will understand. You can also get a brush hog attachment which makes mowing a breeze. Buy the biggest you can afford, but don't get one with DEF go with an older unit.
              Good to know I’m 6’5!

Comment

Originally posted by kparker158 View Post
                Find a lower hour (under 1k hour) older machine. You won’t have to worry about sensors and exhaust filters and such. More basic the better. 60-75hp skidsteer will embarrass your tractor any day of the week on dirt work.
                The gentleman helping me had a 70hp CAT machine that was 15 years old abs he could do circles are pins me.

Comment

Thanks for all the info!

Comment

Cab and A/C x1,000, and throw in an air ride seat. Tires or tracks depends on your terrain.

Comment

What year did DEF come into play?

Comment

Sell your tractor, you wont need it anymore and put that money toward a good skid steer. I bought a 2003 John Deere that was purchased from the state. Well maintained. I sold my tractor because I never used it any more.

Comment

Tracks is a must. Tire machines should only be used on road working crews.

Are you mechanically inclined? Anything within your price range will have to be worked on often. Not a big deal if you enjoy that sort of stuff, but just be prepared. Lots of hydraulic leaks and other nagging stuff that will eat up a Saturday afternoon. Most used skid steers have had the dog worked out of them.

When it comes to older machines, personally I would only run Bobcat. The only issue with the a lot of the older bobcats are the stupid foot controls. However, most older model bobcats are dang near bullet proof machines. CAT is super hit or miss. They change designs all the time. They've had some great models, and some that are straight junk. The parts and dealer support is a huge plus though.

I read a post above about cab size. That completely depends on the specific model of the machine. We have two CAT 259D's at work, and the cab is extremely small. However, those are designed to be "compact" machines.

You'll love having one. I get on our Kubota SVL 75 about 3 times a week at the house.
                          Last edited by Arrowthreat; 03-01-2021, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Cat by far. Get the most machine you can buy. I would look avoid the B series and try to get into the C or D series. A 246c would suit you well.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                              Tracks is a must. Tire machines should only be used on road working crews.

Are you mechanically inclined? Anything within your price range will have to be worked on often. Not a big deal if you enjoy that sort of stuff, but just be prepared. Lots of hydraulic leaks and other nagging stuff that will eat up a Saturday afternoon. Most used skid steers have had the dog worked out of them.

When it comes to older machines, personally I would only run Bobcat. The only issue with the a lot of the older bobcats are the stupid foot controls. However, most older model bobcats are dang near bullet proof machines. CAT is super hit or miss. They change designs all the time. They've had some great models, and some that are straight junk. The parts and dealer support is a huge plus though.

I read a post above about cab size. That completely depends on the specific model of the machine. We have two CAT 259D's at work, and the cab is extremely small. However, those are designed to be "compact" machines.

You'll love having one. I get on our Kubota SVL 75 about 3 times a week at the house.

This is true and bad thing about the older Cats "track" models is they had the crappy ASV undercarriage. The newer ones that are Sprocket and steel rollers one the newer models are much better.

I agree with the other guys i would up your budget and maybe find a package deal for sale somewhere that has some attachments with it. Its hard to find a machine it that price range that isnt just wore out.

This is the main driver behind the 30-50hp tractor demand. You can buy a nice little lightly used 30-50 HP tractor with attachements in the 20k range if you shop around.

Comment

Working...
                              X