2012 f250 4wd hub issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2012 f250 4wd hub issue.

The auto part hasn't worked since iv had the truck so I always just manually lock them when I feel I'm about to need 4x4. Got out to ride a little this morning with the family and no 4x4. The front drive shaft spins but its like the hubs aren't engaging. Are they "froze up"?

You may have a vacuum line disconnected that engages the hubs.

Comment

Did you manually lock the hubs? If so then it is in the hub. Don’t know much about the inner working of the newer hubs.

Comment

I just had to change my vacuum lines for breaks and 4wd pulled the wheel well off and it was a cake took about 30min

Comment

The hub seals are out so the vacuum pump won't engage them in auto so I have always just manually locked them. It's been fine until today when the wind chill was -7°. I'm gonna try to heat them up with a pear burner , what could go wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
            Did you manually lock the hubs? If so then it is in the hub. Don’t know much about the inner working of the newer hubs.
            Yea I manually locked em. The drive shaft is turning into the front diff but the tires aren't. I'm thinking they're just froze up. If memory serves there's a big spring in there that pushes on something when you turn them to lock.

Comment

Could be frozen. Also may need to be greased. Lock them in and tap on them with a hammer.

Comment

Mine are screwed up too. It sux getting out to lock them in

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                  Could be frozen. Also may need to be greased. Lock them in and tap on them with a hammer.
                  I tried that already, I also gently heated them with a pear burner. Still not working. They've gotta just be froze. I used them a couple months ago and it was just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by joevillars View Post
                    Mine are screwed up too. It sux getting out to lock them in
                    For sure but I'm fine with is as long as they do lock in when you need them

Comment

Update. I managed to get my truck stuck while trying to pull my son on a homemade sled lol. Hubs never locked in. Tried to push the truck out with the tractor but the battery has went bad. Jumped it off and then the fuel was jelled. Had a anti jell mix in the shop so I added it but then managed to burn up the tractor starter trying to crank it. Yes I primed it . So after comolonging (sp) on the truck for a couple hours my wife comes to "help". She gets in and pops in into 4x4 and off she goes.

I had the hubs locked in before I moved the truck today so can rule out them needing to spin to lock. My best guess is they warmed up after the truck sit running for those few hours... fml

Comment

Working...
                      X