Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will this cold do to water well systems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to see this. I’m building a house as we speak and will have a well for the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
      Glad to see this. I’m building a house as we speak and will have a well for the first time.

A heavily insulated well house is invaluable. Our well hasn’t frozen since we built ours. It used to freeze regularly at around 30° temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Mine froze up about 2 AM on Sunday morning. It thawed out yesterday and the pressure valve at the top of the well didn't sit back in correctly. I got soaked when I opened the wellhouse door and a stream of water shot out the door. I climbed in the wellhouse, cut the power to the pump and then had to jimmy the spring and plug in the pressure valve to get it to seat back correctly. My pants froze in the process. Everything seems ok right now.

I had a heat lamp in the wellhouse but obviously it wasn't enough. Next time, it will be a propane heater in the wellhouse.

Comment

I had 3 lights and a heat lamp and my pipes from the pressure switch to bladder tank froze and burst.

I had the heat lamp primarily on the booster pump. I am in a looong line to get my well house back in order.

was making insulated boxes for the outside fixtuers and sliced off the tip of my finger. When it rains, it pours I guess.

Tim, make sure you have enough heat on the booster pump. It may crack once frozen.

Comment

Pressure switch on mine seems to have gone cuhput. Thawed most all pipes around the well out and still ain't getting anything from the pump even when manul engaging the 4 contacts.

Comment

Praise the Lord, we never lost power, well at least not yet! I took an osculating ceramic electric heater and put it in my pump house and turned it on high. It kept the whole pump house at a balmy 55 degrees!! Had the pipes insulated pretty well too but we did fill our master bath tub with water in case it froze so we could at least flush the toilet.

I got one of my Honda eu2000i generators out (that I haven't used in a few years). They were put away without any gas left in them, but even with fresh gas, it could not get it going. I intended to have it ready to connect the well pump to if we lost power, but could not make it work dependably... About 7:30 last night with temp already in the teens, I sat right down in the pump house and asked the Lord to protect us and keep us safe and keep our power on... Praise Him, He did just that!! I ordered 2 new carbs for both my eu2000's today... Hopefully they arrive before they are needed again.

Comment

I just checked again and my booster pump has cracked. Drats, now gotta find one.

Comment

The power to my well has been out since Saturday. It is probably frozen solid.

Comment

It's thawing around here but supposed to freeze again tonite so tomorrow I'll run to Bandera and see what damage my daughter has. Every thing froze up there.

Comment

We have a submersible pump but the lines to the pressure tank and from the pressure tank to the house froze. I shut the pump off yesterday so it wouldn't get damaged. This afternoon I turned the pump back on and, low and behold, we had running water to the house. First time since Saturday night. It's only 34 degrees outside but everything thawed pretty quick. Supposed to be in the teens tonight so I'm sure it will freeze again. So far I haven't detected any major breaks in the lines.

Comment

Been doing pretty well keeping everything thawed until last night when we lost power again. Now I'm getting an over current light on from my pump saver. Anyone know what this means or what to check? Have checked all connections breakers ect that I can find
                        Pipes don't seem to be frozen we still have water in the holding tank for now but its just not pumping any new water in. Any help would be appreciated!

Comment

Well I guess next time my only option is to turn off the entire water system and drain the 2,500 gallon holding tank and every line after that.. 100% drain the system.

I think I see a nice crack in my 2,500 holding tank No telling what else yet until it starts to thaw.

I get the pumphouse as warm as I can during the 1 hour with power. The 2 without not much I can do. They claim we will stay on this rotation until Friday now.

Comment

Drain it and try and plastic weld it w a solder iron those tanks aren't cheap..
                            I chose the 500 gallon tank for this reason- I leave my pump running constantly and every hour it lumps fresh water up from the deep well that pulls the temp back up as it dumps into the tank

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                              Well I guess next time my only option is to turn off the entire water system and drain the 2,500 gallon holding tank and every line after that.. 100% drain the system.

I think I see a nice crack in my 2,500 holding tank No telling what else yet until it starts to thaw.

I get the pumphouse as warm as I can during the 1 hour with power. The 2 without not much I can do. They claim we will stay on this rotation until Friday now.
                              That is pretty bad if your 2500 gallon tank cracked. Guess I need to go check my big tank.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

Wow Tim that sucks but there’s not to much we can do when Mother Nature is so brutal. But yes you will need a new 2500 gal tank and I will haul off your old one for free, that’s just the kind of guy I am. Good luck man, stay safe

Comment

Working...
                                X