Powderhorn 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
    Anyone hear any reports from last weeks hunt? Heard from one trying for a standby spot that it was super soggy. Hope it dries up by the middle of next month.
    Good luck, I haven't seen any updates on their FB page since November.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
      Good luck, I haven't seen any updates on their FB page since November.
      Nope, I talked to them thru FB messenger and they killed a few the first afternoon but the rest of the hunt was uneventful. They never did update their page with any pictures

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper John View Post
        All had a great hunt last week. My Sambar took two compartment changes. The last day since I had taken a buck already and was only seeing more bucks, but not seeing Sambar. And there was a couple guys in another compartment who had taken Sambar already but not seeing any bucks. TPWD staff negotiated a swap for us on the last morning so we all met up and swapped notes about where the game was in each other's compartments. We both were successful. Can't thank Dan, Tori, and especially Justin enough. Of all the TPWD hunts I have been on this staff by far worked harder to help everyone have a great hunt than any other drawn hunt I have ever been on.

Congratulations, you got a really nice one

Comment

For those that have been fortunate to hunt at Powderhorn and shot a sambar, how do they eat and what would you compare it to?

Thank you.

Comment

Flavor is very good meat off a mature bull is a little tougher and has a relatively course grain structure.

Comment

About an month ago we saw a monster stag standing in the road in POC right at dark. Almost ran him over as he didn't want to move. Walked off like no big deal...

Comment

They just posted up a nice Sambar from the youth hunt and said it has been really slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                  They just posted up a nice Sambar from the youth hunt and said it has been really slow.
                  Yep, I saw that too. The last couple hunts seem to have been slow. They didn't even post pics from the last GDE hunt. Wondering if the pressure from the previous hunts has them in hiding.

Comment

Bring your water boots boys, it is wet and sloppy out this way.

Some places got around 7” of rain.

Still see plenty of critters off 185 and 1289.

Comment

I recently got mine back from the processor and tried some for the first time. The sausage, snack sticks and ground meat have all been great, as expected. Last week, I grilled the whole tenderloin and it was absolutely great. My family all agreed. I cooked it to medium rare. It was extremely tender and tasty. I was pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                        Yep, I saw that too. The last couple hunts seem to have been slow. They didn't even post pics from the last GDE hunt. Wondering if the pressure from the previous hunts has them in hiding.
                        Been real slow last couple weeks in victoria. Not sure why except maybe because it had been so dry and we finally got rain and everything greened up? Hope it gets better for yall.

Comment

I always nearly run off the road when headed to POC and we pass the Powderhorn! I've enjoyed reading the reports. Lots of critters there

Comment

Game on! Already spotted several sambar

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                              Game on! Already spotted several sambar

Don’t hold out on us...

Comment

Found multiple sambar. I think 2 stags, maybe 1 axis buck. Several sambar hind and calfs.

Got my older bro(special needs) on a big sambar hind at 160yds. She spotted us, but gave me plenty of time to get him behind and up next to me on a tripod shooting sticks. Gave him a Remington Model 700 300winmag I traded for months ago,(never shot it until today, its dead on)

Told him where to shoot her(he is usually a pretty good shot). He touched off on the trigger......"click". He looked back at me confused and like "***!? MAN". My fault, I forgot to chamber a fresh round(I made sure the gun was on earlier in the day from a youth blind). I chambered a round but she had enough and started to trot off. I could see he was aiming at the calf and had to tell him a couple times, "Wrong one! Thats the baby! Shoot the big one" by the time he found her in the scope it was walking away, and he couldn't get a shot off. He has no depth perception and looking through a scope and finding a target(especially moving) is difficult for him, especially adjusting on the fly to a demanding little brother like myself.

She escaped into the brush. I felt stupid and he felt disappointed and discouraged with the whole experience. He thought he was on(Im sure he was) and he pulled the trigger and I screwed it up.

Dad had Dr Appt at 4pm and had to leave.(stage 4 lung & bone cancer) he is doing much better and almost back to the man I recall, but couldn't stay. He cancelled the next 2 days of Dr appointments.
                                My goal is to get Dad on something first and foremost. Would mean more to me than anything I could accomplish alone. If alone, I'd have fired multiple shots at sambar and whitetail. I want more for them than myself, hence the constant nagging and effort to be so encouraging and optimistic about trying for this hunt.

I couldn't believe it when we got it. I let out a very real sound of excitement and my Dad just spun around in disbelief, like " Kiss my ***...no way!"

I kept saying, "Com'on Greg Bludau" over and over. He looked at me strangely. Others did to. I said, " Say it man, it works, its worked in the past, just say it!."He did. I did. Low and behold, my name was announced, followed by Dad and brother.

I can't make this **** up. Brother was sitting in the truck during it all for medical reasons, his lungs are "that of an 80 yr old per the Doctor". When we pulled home tonight, Ryan told me he was praying, when he was in truck when Dad and I went to the sign in.

I don't believe in much. But that is the truth.

I feel confident for the next 2 days. It'll be a real challenge, but these opportunities are very rare for a father and sons, in this life.

Best of luck to all other hunters! I will try to keep a thread going.

Comment

Working...
                                X