Scope for Lightweight APR build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scope for Lightweight APR build

Ok guys I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the lightweight will be the build for the year.

So lets talk what your plans are for optics.

Please post the scope weight if you make a recommendation. Since its a lightweight build that will be a factor for many peoples choices.

I'm considering a Swarovski Z6i 3-18x50 Gen-2 BT
    21.7oz

Leupold VX-6 6-18x44 SF TMOA with CDS weighing in at 14.6oz. Mounted with a pair of Hawkins long range hybrid rings would be tough to beat.

Comment

Gonna be hard to beat a Swaro for light weight and outstanding glass.

Swaro was going to be my suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 at 15.9oz

Comment

NF SHV 4-14x. 30oz.

Comment

Originally posted by texag93 View Post
            NF SHV 4-14x. 30oz.

Dang Sutton, you did see he said light weight, not boat anchor right? [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by one66stang View Post
              Ok guys I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the lightweight will be the build for the year.

So lets talk what your plans are for optics.

Please post the scope weight if you make a recommendation. Since its a lightweight build that will be a factor for many peoples choices.

I'm considering a Swarovski Z6i 3-18x50 Gen-2 BT
              21.7oz
              Ive got a Night Force but thinking about keeping this one light, I may check out the swarovski. I have never owned one of their scopes but my wife has a bunch of the other stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Notaguide View Post
                Leupold VX-6 6-18x44 SF TMOA with CDS weighing in at 14.6oz. Mounted with a pair of Hawkins long range hybrid rings would be tough to beat.
                This was my thinking. Probably the lightest/smallest profile scope with elevation dialing capabilities.

If there is something else I'd love other suggestions. (Not trying to hijack thread)

Comment

I like my vortex razor HD LH 3-15
                  Attached Files

Comment

I think you're talking about a VX-2, not a VX-6.

Comment

VX-R Patrol 3x9 at a hair over 16 oz may not be a bad choice either. Mushy turret but still functional.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                        I think you're talking about a VX-2, not a VX-6.
                        You are correct.....my mistake but still really like the Vx-6. Glass is incredible, lower profile, decent length. The Razor is definitely a winner but also a increase in cost. 30mm and 34mm tubes add weight across the board.

OBJECTIVE LENS DIAMETER
                        44mm
                        MAGNIFICATION
                        Zoom: 3X to 18X
                        TUBE DIAMETER
                        30mm
                        FIELD OF VIEW @ 100 YARDS
                        38 ft-7 ft
                        EYE RELIEF
                        3.8"
                        EXIT PUPIL
                        14.6mm-2.4mm
                        RETICLE FOCAL PLANE
                        2nd Focal Plane
                        TURRET TYPE
                        BDC/Adjustable
                        TURRET CLICK VALUE
                        .250 MOA
                        MAX ELEVATION ADJUSTMENT
                        75 MOA
                        MAX WINDAGE ADJUSTMENT
                        75 MOA
                        LENGTH
                        12.5"
                        WEIGHT
                        16.8oz
                        WEATHER RESISTANCE
                        Water/Fog Proof
                        ILLUMINATED RETICLE
                        Yes
                        EXTERIOR FINISH
                        Matte Black
                        BRAND
                        Leupold
                        STOCK KEY
                        Last edited by Notaguide; 12-18-2018, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Not trying to troll or nothing bud but that VX-6 is discontinued and the VX-6HD took its place and both were 19-20oz.
                          I have just completed a 7mm Mag build and topped it off with a Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x44 and I have been pretty impressed with it especially at dusk and after. Last night I was shooting sub moa groups at 500 yds well after sunset.

The VX6 and VX5 HDs are in that 19-20oz mark.
                          The Vortex razor HD LH 3-15x42 is pretty light I think 16-17 oz. Lots of good reviews but it has a 1" tube and I am partial to 30mm.
                          Of course what you are looking at in the Swarovski is pretty slick optic as well.
                          Seems like it just depends on what you are wanting to do with the rifle and what you want to spend.
                          Last edited by DuramaxDude; 12-18-2018, 10:59 AM.

Comment

.....That was the HD specs I attached knowing it was discontinued off Sport Optics. Leupold has 539g which is closer to 19oz so something was incorrect. Agree its splitting hairs on the vx-5 vs 6 with power being a main difference. Both would be my choice for the APR build as originally asked.

The Razor HD gen2 18x is a heavy scope and with the standard Razor 20x is a little less but still listed at over 30oz on the Vortex website.
                            Last edited by Notaguide; 12-18-2018, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
                              Not trying to troll or nothing bud but that VX-6 is discontinued and the VX-6HD took its place and both were 19-20oz.
                              I have just completed a 7mm Mag build and topped it off with a Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x44 and I have been pretty impressed with it especially at dusk and after. Last night I was shooting sub moa groups at 500 yds well after sunset.

The VX6 and VX5 HDs are in that 19-20oz mark.
                              The Vortex razor HD LH 3-15x42 is pretty light I think 16-17 oz. Lots of good reviews but it has a 1" tube and I am partial to 30mm.
                              Of course what you are looking at in the Swarovski is pretty slick optic as well.
                              Seems like it just depends on what you are wanting to do with the rifle and what you want to spend.
                              As far as I know the VX-6 was never built in a 6 - 18. The VX-6 always had a zoom range of 6X, hence the 3 - 18. 6-18 is only a 3x range.

Comment

Working...
                              X