Feeder pen-Solar fence charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone tried one to deter cows from entering feed pens? I can’t keep them out with panels and barbwire and was thinking of running a strand where the barbwire is since they’re used to it. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel you! I am thinking of doing the same thing around my feeder.

Comment

how big is your pen?

Comment

I’m going to try it and see how the deer react

Comment

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
          how big is your pen?

15 panels and a 12’ gate. Problem is the land owner doesn’t feed the cows at all

Comment

I had success using a single strand hot wire to keep my cows off the rye grass. However, the calves seemed to get in at times. I think you could use an insulator with a offset to zap those suckers and keep them away.

Comment

Cpr1979 I am struggling with the same exact problem. I too am curious if hot wire will keep cows out and not scare off the deer.

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
                Cpr1979 I am struggling with the same exact problem. I too am curious if hot wire will keep cows out and not scare off the deer.

I can’t go till next weekend but after that I will be able to tell you

Comment

For what it’s worth. We put a hot wire around our camp and the deer still come in but the cows don’t. Tempting!

Comment

We have a couple guys trying it. It seems hog panels and 1 hot wire on top seems to be the best combination. It too the cows about a week to move on and the deer about two weeks to adjust to the change.

Comment

We have it single wire around our camp, and the rancher uses to divide the property. Cows stay out but calves come in.

We are required to have a pen around our feeders and I've wondered if making a single wire pen out of it would meet that requirement. Curious on cost too.

Comment

Originally posted by dfkoon View Post
                        We have it single wire around our camp, and the rancher uses to divide the property. Cows stay out but calves come in.

We are required to have a pen around our feeders and I've wondered if making a single wire pen out of it would meet that requirement. Curious on cost too.

Cost is cheaper than donating feed. Charger is about $180 plus wire and insulators

Comment

I don't have an issue with cows, but I wonder if you could run a wire 6"-8" off the ground to keep coons out?

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

This is one that I’m looking at

Comment

We ran a hot wire above the top of our feeder panels probably about 44-48" above the ground on all of our pens with protein. It deterred some cows but some would still get in the pens. We were in an awful drought in Mexico and the cows were starving to death too so they were highly motivated to get in those pens. Ended up setting 4 corner posts on each pen with concrete, t posts in between and 5 strand bard wire. It has kept them out so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X