Grass burrs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a little late for pre-emergent.

Wait until the soil temp is 72 (how to do that) and scout. Most people can't tell the difference between a 1.5" grass bur plant and Bermuda grass stem, though. My thought is if there was grass burs there last year, they will be there this year. If the Bermuda grass is greening up, so are the grass burs.

Then spray Pastora. If you aren't growing hay, you could put out a light application of glyphosate. It will stunt the Bermuda because it grows on "runners". Sand burs do not. If you have any livestock, you cannot use MSMA. Like mentioned before it will kill them and horses especially quick.
    Last edited by Dusty Britches; 03-08-2021, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Good question OP, and thanks for answers, I have and hate grass burrs!

Comment

Used xl2 but now they say its banned I guess because it worked. What's a good granule for grass burrs.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
          Used xl2 but now they say its banned I guess because it worked. What's a good granule for grass burrs.
          Looks like the replacement for XL is Snapshot 2.5 TG.

Comment

Pastora will knock them out but the stuff is expensive.

About $20/acre per application.
            Last edited by Reelthreat; 03-09-2021, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Agree Pastora mixed with 24D. But as noted above, Pastora is expensive.

Comment

Good info here. Been looking for something to battle the spurs. Gonna try Pastora.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Do you need a license to buy pastora ?

Comment

Originally posted by Reelthreat View Post
                    Pastora will knock them out but the stuff is expensive.

About $20/acre per application.

I looked at this, but that sure is a small bottle and goes a long ways. Hard to spot treat and get good ratios. I use MSMA but don’t graze. I also hand pick when I see them as I’m pretty good and spotting plants now.

Comment

Recently bought a sticker picker off Craigslist for 50 bucks. Used it this wk/end and picked up a lot from last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                        Do you need a license to buy pastora ?
                        No

Comment

I just re-read the OP - for yard applications - wait until the end of March, beginning of April and spray MSMA or Image. Do not use these in a pasture.

Comment

I have been battling these devil plant for 2 years now in my front and back yard. About have them whipped now or at least beaten back to a much better level.

My approach was the brute force method of just pulling them. I pulled up close to 4 55 gallon drums worth of them the first year. Would water the grass heavily to get them up and then pull all of them. Would walk the yard every evening after work during the entire growing period and pull everyone I seen put it in a metal trash can and then throw them out. First year was terrible. Last year start off at about half the amount of stickers as the first year. And they are completely gone from front yard. Same with the **** goat heads.

Comment

Celcius will kill them up to 4 inches spot treatment. Prowl, surf land pre emergent. Regelon and celcius post emergent.

Comment

Lime and fertilizer

Comment

Working...
                                X