No announcement yet.

Official 2020 - 2021 Lakes Whitney and Aquilla hunting and fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally! Grandbury gates are open again! Flow rate is 934cfs. Probably won't last long unless we get some more rain.

Comment

Anyone on here going to the NWTF jakes day on April 20th? It’ll be in Peoria.

Comment

I can't say Kirby. There's just no telling what life will throw at me next.

Looks like the W lake is coming up, inch by inch.

Comment

Official 2020 - 2021 Lakes Whitney and Aquilla hunting and fishing thread

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
          I can't say Kirby. There's just no telling what life will throw at me next.

Looks like the W lake is coming up, inch by inch.

Hope you can make it! I’ll be there helping out.

P.S. - I got the dates mixed up! It’s March 20th!

Comment

Looks like Grandbury closed the gates Sunday night or some time Monday. I wonder if they will only release on the weekends this spring like they did the last few years, unless we get a sizeable rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
              Looks like Grandbury closed the gates Sunday night or some time Monday. I wonder if they will only release on the weekends this spring like they did the last few years, unless we get a sizeable rain.
              How much do you feel like this changes the fishing? If it was large amounts they were releasing, obviously that would change things. I’ve had a hell of a time the last couple weeks finding a consistent pattern. Maybe the fishes are just shell shocked from the freeze still. I’ve been catching some, just working hard for all of them.

Comment

In all my years of fishing Texas tailrace waters below dams, and rivers, and some time in Ohio (marriage will make a man do things he otherwise wouldn't do ) when the lakes were frozen over and water was being released from lower surface levels as well as warmer months, I have found that the release rate makes a big difference when rates are high vs low. A slow or slowly increasing release rate lets the fish adapt to the new oxygen levels, water debris, and forage rate in the water. A high release will stimulate the feeding of some species while shutting down others at first. But sooner or later, everybody has gotta eat . It's knowing how to adapt fishing techniques to the "current" conditions for any given species (pun intended ). Over all, long release rates will stimulate the bite vs still water. Because fish use energy to stay in position in a current. And that energy has to be replaced. There by making them bite more frequent. Knowing your prey, where they like to rest, where they like to feed, what the current food sources are, are all part of the puzzle.

I've found various techniques that work for me for various given species. The best thing to do is find one that works well for you. That is kinda like public hunting: Gotta put boots...er...waders on, and pound the water to find what's most productive for you . And it's always better to ask certain things when your on the water than on a public forum. Doesn't hurt to watch other people on the water either. And what they are using. But if you like to fish with large crowds, just post up here where you were. And they will be there next weekend to welcome you back . I've seen it light switch in a week's time .
                Last edited by Texas Grown; 03-03-2021, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Just a note b4 you go, on the upper end, TFF reports that Kimball Bend and Plowman are closed, our nations finest website reports as open, call prior to going.

Recreation.Gov shows as open, but isn't accepting reservations until May 2021.

My tax dollars at work!

Comment

I was hoping Grandbury would open one of it's gates today or yesterday. But nada so far.

If I make it down there tomorrow, Saturday and/or Sunday, I'll check the parks to see if they are open.

Comment

No water of any significance being released from Grandbury this morning.

And still trying to catch up on house chores.

Comment

Boat ramp was open at Kimble Bend today. Lots of boats out. No campers in the park. Bathrooms locked. Caught a little of everything today. But mostly crappie when I could get them to bite. Did catch a few keepers mostly on minnows. And a few on tube jigs. It was tough fishing. Sandies were all dinks except one. Only caught one keeper. Even caught a channel cat. And one 16" striper. Water temp when I left was 60 degrees where I was.

If you are running the river, or even open water, please have the courtesy to slow down if you run up on some boats that are fishing. It's a matter of safety for craft that are smaller than yours. And a courtesy as a sportsman. No matter how smooth your boat may ride, it still makes a wake. Don't be that rude person on the water, please.
                        Last edited by Texas Grown; 03-07-2021, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Got into a few fish on Sunday.

Comment

I caught this funny looking crappie on a 3.5" bass minner last Sunday afternoon. Thick and tall feller. Little longer than my hand. Guess he thought he was a bass. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210307_195352.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	24645915

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
                            Last edited by Texas Grown; 03-11-2021, 08:17 PM.

Comment

The's ona those redbreast crappie. Or bluegill crappie.

Comment

Originally posted by Deafishunter View Post
                                Does anyone spring Turkey hunt at lake A and W?
                                The man asked a question.... What's y'all answer...[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848].... [emoji884]

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X