Well I was stupid and picked up the Austin Statesman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I was stupid and picked up the Austin Statesman

It's been a lot of years since I picked up a newspaper. For some reason they have been throwing one in my driveway for about 4 months now.

Yes I was stupid enough to actually look at it for once. Front page is a full page report on how CPS takes away 3 times as many kids versus white kids... So yes I go full retard because I want to see the excuse...and Oh my gosh! They blame everything except the truth.

Here's the one line that made me stop reading and throw the whole paper in the trash..Yes, I know, it should have went straight there to begin with like I've been doing for months.

"Financial pressure in partcaused by the rising cost of living, limited community resources such as affordable housing, and institutional racism drive the differences....." "Loss of the State's Minority Health Statistics.... shuttered Sept 1 after Republican-led leg. cut funding"

Maybe someone with more stomach can read the full article and see . I'm sure they bring up the real facts somewhere, right? Like blacks have the highest single parent homes..or the least Dads, or more Dad's in prison

Reading that paper is retarded. Dont ever go full retard.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
      Reading that paper is retarded. Dont ever go full retard.
      I know. I was tempted since it was free. But still took me 3-4 months and 2 weeks of rain to get so bored I went full retard.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
        It's been a lot of years since I picked up a newspaper. For some reason they have been throwing one in my driveway for about 4 months now.

Yes I was stupid enough to actually look at it for once. Front page is a full page report on how CPS takes away 3 times as many kids versus white kids... So yes I go full retard because I want to see the excuse...and Oh my gosh! They blame everything except the truth.

Here's the one line that made me stop reading and throw the whole paper in the trash..Yes, I know, it should have went straight there to begin with like I've been doing for months.

"Financial pressure in partcaused by the rising cost of living, limited community resources such as affordable housing, and institutional racism drive the differences....." "Loss of the State's Minority Health Statistics.... shuttered Sept 1 after Republican-led leg. cut funding"

Maybe someone with more stomach can read the full article and see . I'm sure they bring up the real facts somewhere, right? Like blacks have the highest single parent homes..or the least Dads, or more Dad's in prison
        To be fair, the article states a statistical fact. That, according to a study conducted by the State, black kids are 3x more likely to be in the CPS system as white kids.

The article goes to say and is critical of the fact that the study provided almost no reason as to why this would be true.

Then, the article contains the statement you posted above. However, it is clearly stated that information isn't fact but the opinion of some child advocacy groups.

A few paragraphs after that it states that "that poverty and single parenthood, among other factors, were associated with child maltreatment."

In other words, it first reported the factual result of a study, then it allowed people or groups to offer their opinion as to why the results were true and it ultimately cited other studies which explained the factors that lead to CPS involvement in the home. One of which, was exactly the factor you cited for CPS involvement in homes, single parents.

So, what exactly was your problem with the article?

Curious why your quote "Financial pressure in partcaused by the rising cost of living, limited community resources such as affordable housing, and institutional racism drive the differences....." "Loss of the State's Minority Health Statistics.... shuttered Sept 1 after Republican-led leg. cut funding" omitted the attribution of that statement to child advocacy groups?

What incentive to you have to report that the author made that statement?

You understand that ellipses are used to omit irrelevant information when quoting, right? Why did you use it to omit the most relevant information?

No dog in this fight, as I am not poor and CPS will never be at my house, you probably should have read a little closer and read the entire thing.

Comment

There's no chance I could have made it through that whole piece of garbage. If anyone read the first page and couldn't see how many times they claimed racism they are blind.

Comment

I have handled CPS cases for about ten years now as an attorney in east texas. I estimate 80% of all CPS involvement stems from substance abuse. Which in turn can lead to domestic violence, poverty, etc.

Several cases this year where children test positive for dope due to secondary exposure or babies born and testing positive. Truly sad situation regardless of race.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Comment

Can't wait until they enforce an affirmative action quota in CPS cases... maybe a lottery

Comment

They make good firewood kindle just save em for the cold days
                I thought about going to all the houses after the election and asking for the beto signs..would make great archery targets of banded together with ratchet straps

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Munson View Post
                  "Loss of the State's - Minority Health Statistics.... shuttered Sept 1 after Republican-led leg. cut funding"
                  Seems pretty racist to have a group that only helps minorities.

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
                    Seems pretty racist to have a group that only helps minorities.
                    Feel free to read the article. I won't. It was stupid how slanted it was. Even quoted someone from the city that was saying how racist things were in Austin.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                      It was stupid how slanted it was. Even quoted someone from the city that was saying how racist things were in Austin.
                      Yup. How much money did they run through in a less than a year (only helping out minorities mind you)? Seems like some negative stereotypes got doubled down on here. The lady they keep quoting is Joyce James, the person that ran the group into the ground.

James said the closure of the office has unraveled the work she did at the agency.

“I believe that is all rooted in the absence of the understanding of the importance of why we must do this work. Because people have a misunderstanding of what institutional and structural racism means, they don’t want to touch it, they don’t want to talk about it, and they don’t want to believe it’s true, so they just make it go away,” she said.

The office was funded in fiscal 2018 with $394,037 in general revenue funds, $629,476 in federal funds, and $1,093,295 in “interagency contracts,” money received from another state agency in exchange for services, material, or equipment.

In lieu of funding the office, the Legislature wanted state health officials to collaborate with a university to provide the office’s functions or to find another funding mechanism, such as more federal grants or gifts and donations, to keep it open.

Comment

Haven't read the Austin Liberal Statesman in 20+ years ... see no need to start now ....

When a cousin attended UT she was interviewed by one of their reporters ... whenever the story was printed, they quote her incorrectly and totally misconstrued what she was meaning. She was getting her journalism degree and was furious at the lack of integrity .. I thought it was hilarious

Comment

80% of cps involement deals with drug abuse which started with marijuana use.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                            I bet the "make pot legal" thread would argue that statement.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post

Did you read that in the Statesmen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X