Edwards/Real Counties Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birddog,

In an earlier post you said you were west of town. I am assuming that is west of Rocksprings?

Comment

Originally posted by EliteZ28Bow View Post
      We have Grooms come out with the dozer. Does good methodical work.
      Is there a general rule of thumb on what thinning out the cedars costs per acre? Or is there some other unit cost that can be applied to try to get in the ballpark of what this kind of work might cost?

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
        Birddog,

In an earlier post you said you were west of town. I am assuming that is west of Rocksprings?
        Yes sir out towards Sonora on 55

Comment

Saw some pretty good deer last weekend. Nothing to brag about but considering what I started with I am pretty excited.

Man it is dry out there.
          Looks like the back 2500 acres of the 700 Springs Ranch next to Rancho Trinidad?

Comment

Nice deer Birddog

Yeah that 9 probably won't make it through bow season. I would let him walk for another year but I am not sure if we are going to get the opportunity to return to this lease next year.

I did not get my weather station set up like a dummy. Got up there too late on Friday, Saturday flew by and one of the guys that came with me needed to be back in Austin by 2 on Sunday so nothing happened on Sunday. I might be going back this weekend but will be back for sure on the 30th and I am going to make it a priority to get it set up.

You said your reports to weather underground right? I see ones titled Hackberry and Nueces. Is either one of these yours? I didn't know WU did this, it is pretty neat.
            Understandable there, I hope you get him. Work weekends always take more time than anticipated. Yes, Nueces CR.

Comment

Anybody know or seen any exotics of Hwy 41 near Fairview Rd?

Comment

Originally posted by megger89 View Post
                Anybody know or seen any exotics of Hwy 41 near Fairview Rd?
                Fairview Rd just east of Hackberry road? Yes there is a boat load of exotics in that area.

Comment

Is there a general rule of thumb on what thinning out the cedars costs per acre? Or is there some other unit cost that can be applied to try to get in the ballpark of what this kind of work might cost?
                  125/hr...$1000 a day. You get to watch and drink beer. Best way to clear Cedar. He keeps all oak separate and makes nice cedar piles for you. It is worth it, especially if you have steep terrain and need some roads cut.

Comment

Originally posted by EliteZ28Bow View Post
                    125/hr...$1000 a day. You get to watch and drink beer. Best way to clear Cedar. He keeps all oak separate and makes nice cedar piles for you. It is worth it, especially if you have steep terrain and need some roads cut.
                    Sorry for all the questions........ How much can be cleared in one day?

Comment

Looks like the back 2500 acres of the 700 Springs Ranch next to Rancho Trinidad?
                      It is 1200 acres in the SE most corner of the 700 ranch. It is my understanding that we drive thru the 2500 you mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                        Fairview Rd just east of Hackberry road? Yes there is a boat load of exotics in that area.
                        Really? Like what? My parents just purchased 56 Acres between Fairview Rd and Hackberry Road. The place is close to LAD E M Ranch and it wasn't hunted for the past 5+ years.

Comment

It is 1200 acres in the SE most corner of the 700 ranch. It is my understanding that we drive thru the 2500 you mentioned.
                          I gotcha! Back in 2010 my dad and a small group of guys hunted the 2500 acres back when it was all low fence. It was hard to get the Axis to come over from the neighbors place, but we did get a few of them.

Comment

Sorry for all the questions........ How much can be cleared in one day?
                            No worries. That is hard to say. We are not really "clear cutting" the cedar at the moment. We are making roads/shooting lanes down and across the hill sides to make the property accessible with 4x4 trucks. The best advice I can can give would be to have Mike and Mike go out to the site. That way ya'll can discuss the exact look/function you want to achieve.

Comment

Question on how to attract the Axis Deer and Black Buck:

As previously stated, I hunt in Deer Park, in the very back. I see axis and black but regularly, but down in the flats. Any ideas on how to get them up where I am??

Comment

Really? Like what? My parents just purchased 56 Acres between Fairview Rd and Hackberry Road. The place is close to LAD E M Ranch and it wasn't hunted for the past 5+ years.
                                On HWY 41 in that area I've seen everything from Axis to Scimitar to Watusi. The super exotics are always behind a high fence but on low fence places in that area are plenty of axis and blackbuck. Possibly a few fallow and rams as well. One of the joys of that area- you never know what you may see.

Comment

Working...
                                X