Airhead ID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airhead ID?

Growing up in the 80s/ 90s, my brother and I spent a lot of time looking for artifacts in Louisiana. Miles of walking pine clear cuts after a rain and summers digging in the creek and river bottoms. Somewhere around '92 or '93 we skipped school for the day, picked up some miller high life 7oz pony bottles, and headed to a hole we had been working, on a creek in eastern Beauregard Parish. It was the year that I was a freshman and he was a senior. My brother was digging and I was working the sifter. In a shovel of clay from the bottom of the hole, a good 3.5ft down we found the nicest point of our collection. Never known anything about it besides the fact that it's likely really old and not typical for the area.

Can anybody ID the type, culture, age, material, rarity, etc?

Last edited by toledo; 06-08-2021, 08:09 PM.

Toledo, that is a beauty. Garguy will be by shortly and will tell you everything you need to know about that point.

Comment

Maybe a Scottsbluff, Paleoindian (ca. 8500-9500 BP), could be Edwards-Georgetown flint. Nice projectile point.

Comment

That’s a beautiful Scotty. Awesome find. Google Scottsbluff and you should have your answer.

Comment

That's a scotts bluff and a nice one. My wheelhouse. I would love to talk to you about it.

Comment

And here I thought you wanted to know who I am

Comment

I though der was gonna be a pic of a hot blonde

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice looking points, but I was expecting a picture of a air head.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                  I though der was gonna be a pic of a hot blonde

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                  Ha! Instead of a snake I.D., it was gonna be a wife I.D.!!

Comment

Beautiful point, cool story about finding it with your brother.

Comment

So what are the measurements of that thing, length and width? Have you asked anyone what type of rock that is? I am curious on what type of rock, I have never seen rock that color, that I can remember. Interesting the way the base is cut or flaked.

With the base being so wide, I would wonder if it was on a spear, that's why I am curious about the length and width.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                        So what are the measurements of that thing, length and width? Have you asked anyone what type of rock that is? I am curious on what type of rock, I have never seen rock that color, that I can remember. Interesting the way the base is cut or flaked.

With the base being so wide, I would wonder if it was on a spear, that's why I am curious about the length and width.

These questions have mostly been answered. The material is Georgetown Blue Edward's Chert. It is a very nice banded example. The point is a 10,000 year old type called ScottsBluff which is from the Cody Complex grouping.

Judging from the other points and a pm conversation I believe it is just under three inches. No doubt it was once much longer. These points were used thousands of years before the bow and arrow.

This one is a classic example with parallel flaking to a medial ridge . It is a relatively rare type although it was made all the way across the high plains and into Canada.

I hope this helps, Steve
                        Last edited by GarGuy; 06-10-2021, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X