Neighbor Hunting Agreements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neighbor Hunting Agreements?

Well, we are starting our search for a property to hunt, shoot, ATV, etc. Wont be our primary due to us wanting to keep kids in a good school system. Katy doesn’t have many 50+ acres tracts for sale haha.

Question for the GS: have any of y’all approached neighbors to start an agreed upon deer mgmt program? My goal is to avoid the neighbor that shoots everything with antlers by working together and educating them and learning them how to age... maybe even a protein program. We’d be talking 50-100 acre properties where I’ve been looking recently. Seems like a tall task so lookin for experience/advice.

It sure can’t hurt. You will know after meeting the potential neighbors if they are management minded or not. Even still there’s nothing to keep you or them from shooting whatever y’all want.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      It sure can’t hurt. You will know after meeting the potential neighbors if they are management minded or not. Even still there’s nothing to keep you or them from shooting whatever you want.

Yeah, exactly. No laws other than county tag limits, but they can still bring their daughters, sons, uncles, etc. to kill every decent young buck in the area. Pretty much the reason we’ll keep our large acre lease is to avoid folks like this for hunting purposes and maybe just cross our fingers for the property regarding whitetail...

Comment

Good luck. I've had no luck with this and have tried for four years. My neighbors shoot lots of 3.5 and 4.5 year olds. I have never seen a 5.5+ year old deer while hunting in four years. Sad to say but when my parents leave me the place someday I am selling and heading South to buy something with better hunting. I can't gripe though, if they're legal bucks it isn't any of my business what they shoot as it's their property. My neighbors appreciate the protein I feed though, LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
          Good luck. I've had no luck with this and have tried for four years. My neighbors shoot lots of 3.5 and 4.5 year olds. I have never seen a 5.5+ year old deer while hunting in four years. Sad to say but when my parents leave me the place someday I am selling and heading South to buy something with better hunting.

Sounds way too familiar. Funny that these guys think they’re shooting these super old mature bucks and you see pics and they’re 2.5-3.5 year olds (with loads of potential). Just part of it I guess...

We are also looking further away from the city, as well. South and West.

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
            Well, we are starting our search for a property to hunt, shoot, ATV, etc. Wont be our primary due to us wanting to keep kids in a good school system. Katy doesn’t have many 50+ acres tracts for sale haha.

Question for the GS: have any of y’all approached neighbors to start an agreed upon deer mgmt program? My goal is to avoid the neighbor that shoots everything with antlers by working together and educating them and learning them how to age... maybe even a protein program. We’d be talking 50-100 acre properties where I’ve been looking recently. Seems like a tall task so lookin for experience/advice.
            Maybe don't lead with that. Feel them out first.

But yes, if they're about killing good deer they'll agree to at least something. great response where I live, but I only have a couple of neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post

Uncle Jerry is this you ?

You aren’t gonna take a Supremacist view of game management and when lil Jimmy shoots his first little buck, make him feel bad about it instead of congratulate him are you ?

You understand where I’m coming from right, it is “their” land.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                Uncle Jerry is this you ?

You aren’t gonna take a Supremacism view of game management and when lil Jimmy shoots his first little buck, make him feel bad about it instead of congratulate him are you ?

You understand where I’m coming from right, it is “their” land.

Haha yeah I hear ya. Definitely not. But would like to follow “rules” similar to a managed lease where “Little Johnny” shoots management quality bucks or a doe for his first.

Comment

Managing for what is the question. Animals seem to be managing themselves just fine especially if you are just a yearling meat hunter.

Some folk couldn’t care less about trophies.

Comment

At that amount of acreage just enjoy being outdoors. Otherwise you're going to wear yourself out being worried about what the neighbor just shot or how they're enjoying their own property.

Family time outdoors shooting and riding 4 wheelers is fun enough. Hunting would be the cherry on top.

Comment

Please don't take this wrong but you're worried about your neighbor shooting the wrong or too many deer and he's gonna be worried about all the activity on your place. Kids riding atvs, shooting at targets etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                        Please don't take this wrong but you're worried about your neighbor shooting the wrong or too many deer and he's gonna be worried about all the activity on your place. Kids riding atvs, shooting at targets etc.

I see what you’re saying, but mostly just talking about good deer herd management.

Comment

Peterp, I love you brother but I have this uncle. And I shoot every year old antler-less deer (balls or not) just to spite him. Might not sound like much but if you multiply 1 antler-less deer per day for the state I do this in, some years its over 70 deer.

The craziest part is I think it contributed to better bucks for the youngins.

Maybe feel them out brother
                          Last edited by Johnny44; 05-11-2021, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Even though yall agree on something, no way that you would know what they were doing. Talk is nothing anymore.

Comment

I have met several neighbors. a few of us on TBH hunt close together and talk. I don't think we see many of the same deer, but we talk all the time about fawn crops, rain, and general conditions. We share some photos. It's nice to see what someone else has as a 4 year old.. 5 year old, 6... 7.. etc.

never hurts to know your neighbors.

Comment

Working...
                              X