controlling red wasps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

controlling red wasps

Morning, I've been living with them for 30 years. I always lived under the "you don't bother me I won't bother you" mantra. Well, they broke the deal yesterday. One attacked me and stung me in the eye. They gotta go. I've been stung many times but never like this. It shut both my eyes and my face is swollen all the way to my lips, still today. Trying to drink coffee I feel like Ive just been to the dentist. I'm not allergic though. It was just where she got me.

My house is vinyl sided and has so many places to hide. I've tried caulking the areas over the years but there is always a new spot. Sprays are useless. Is there anything that leaves a residue that would repel them that has worked for you? I'll never be rid of them but I'd like to clear them from the entry doors and keep them away if possible.

I got some Orkin wasp spray at home depot awhile back to use at the lease. It was great, it sprays a good distance and foams when it lands so if you hit them or the nest, they can't fly and nail you with their last breath.

Comment

I would think that any of the repellent insecticides would do that. Bifen, permethrin, etc. Good luck!

Comment

I use permethrin to deter them from building nests on the house, garage, shed, etc. It works quite well and doesn't take a lot of solution or $. Works on reds and Guinea wasps (some call them yellow jackets, but they aren't).

Comment

Any chance we can get a photo of the swelling? My wife is asking....

Comment

Dawn soap and water kills them just as dead as any spray. Plus its cheaper and cleans as it kills

Put it in a water gun and it's like wasp combat

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Olphart View Post
              I use permethrin to deter them from building nests on the house, garage, shed, etc. It works quite well and doesn't take a lot of solution or $. Works on reds and Guinea wasps (some call them yellow jackets, but they aren't).

As far as a solution .... I got nothing. As I haven't found anything that works for me short of finding and destroying the nests at night, with them on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Olphart View Post
                Guinea wasps huh? I always called them yellow jackets too, but folks always say yellow jackets are so aggressive. I've never had one of those wasps attack and I regularly remove them from above my doors. They get mad but don't come after me. I'll remember guinea wasp.

Don't let the pic scare you. This is a self portrait and I have a flip phone. I was surprised to see I took the pic right where I got stung when I looked at it today. She came from the eve right above my head. The swelling got much worse as the day went on.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Guys, I've tried it all over the years including the dawn. What I really need is something that they don't come back to but there may not be such a thing. I sprayed Bengal under the eaves and the Guinea Wasps were back in 2 days.

Comment

Fire works well. But we use the foaming spray as well. I hate them sumbeaches.

Comment

go catch all the lizards you can,,,, turn them loose on your house they can patrol all those hard to reach places!

Comment

"Bengal" brand spray is the best !

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo1 View Post
                          "Bengal" brand spray is the best !
                          Maybe, but not good enough. Read post #9

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
                            Guinea wasps huh? I always called them yellow jackets too, but folks always say yellow jackets are so aggressive. I've never had one of those wasps attack and I regularly remove them from above my doors. They get mad but don't come after me. I'll remember guinea wasp.

Don't let the pic scare you. This is a self portrait and I have a flip phone. I was surprised to see I took the pic right where I got stung when I looked at it today. She came from the eve right above my head. The swelling got much worse as the day went on.
                            Hell, that ain’t too bad Kossetx, I got hung on the end of the nose once and I looked like Jimmy Durante for about three days, (or Rudolph the red nosed reindeer.)

Comment

Have you tried hanging a bunch of Hot Shot No-pest Strips around/under the eaves? I use those in my deer stands, the garage, my girl’s dollhouse outside, it keeps them out of all of those places. I would post a pic of them, but I’m on my phone and don’t have tapatalk. But google Hot Shot No Pest Strips. It’s worth a try I think

Comment

Working...
                              X