Best Memories of Dad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Memories of Dad

In honor of Father’s Day. Let’s hear some of the memories from our fathers. They can still be with with us or past on watching over us from heaven. These men don’t have to be biological fathers either. There are many father figures in my life.

I see a lot of comments in threads that reference fathers or grandfathers. Especially when it comes to hunting and life in the outdoors so I thought it would be a nice treat for people to reflect on the good that fathers did for us.

Since I’m starting the thread, I’ll start. First off, my dad wasn’t around a whole lot when I was a kid. I didn’t really get to know him until I was finished with college when he retired. Well, annually we attend a bull sale to purchase replacements. I have 2 brothers and this has always been our thing. Just me and him talking about life, cattle, business, family history, and politics. Seeing him in one of his true passions always amaze and inspired me.

Tell your stories greens screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

All the times we have hunted, fished, and even worked on projects together. One of the greatest times was a dang zombie deer we tracked and he tried to stab it in the neck. That sucker popped up and started bucking. He karate kicked it and spun it around. Then my buddy got a clean shot with his pistol and dropped it. It was hilarious how it all happened.

Comment

I’ll sum it up quick. My dad is the reason I hunt and fish. Thanks dad. And of course mom too.

Comment

Learned to hunt, fish, weld, wrench, and how to be a father. That's a lot. My dad passed at the deer lease when I was 23. I've missed him terribly. Love ya Dad

Comment

Never met a harder worker or a more honest man. He taught me how to work hard, stand for what's right, be honest no matter the cost, and help those that need it, but.....watching him love my mother is the best gift he ever gave me.

Comment

Didn't know my dad until I turned 18. Spent a few year around him then he moved away for another job. I was in my 30's before we got real close. We started hunting and fishing together even though we were over 200 miles apart. Spending holidays, weekends and hunting season (dove deer) together. He passed away 6 yrs ago.
            My funniest hunting memory: Our last season together we were on the lease which was just outside Gatesville which is where he lived. He was in his late 70's @ the time.I heard a shot and a few minutes later he called for help to field dress his deer. I get there, look @ the little yearling. Mind you this was the first year of AR in Coryell county. I mentioned his deer was not legal size and tried to explain the new restriction. He said "yes it is, it's bigger than the one I got last week"! We dressed it since it was dead, threw it in the back of his truck and he took it to a processor. I went back to my stand. After he got back I asked him what the processor did. He said the processor cut the head off and threw it in the woods behind his shop. That was the last year he hunted
            Damm I miss him.
            Last edited by locolobo; 06-20-2021, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Toughest man I know. One example, we were bass fishing phosphate pits in south Florida, he broke his collarbone launching the boat. Literally had a lump the size of his fist on it. I tried to take him to the doctor but he wouldn’t hear of it. Fished for the next 3 days, casting and catching all day every day. Also sculls his boat the whole time because he likes that better than a trolling motor. Confirmed clavicle was broken after he got back home.

Comment

Dad wanted to fish for crappie so I was able to take time off from work because I was self employed. Prior to that he had been ill and wasn’t able to fish for several years. So it meant a lot to be able to spend that much time wetting lines together again. We got to have several fish fries with family from just what dad and I caught. Some friends own a ranch that a large lake backs into. It was always nice to have the freedom to come and go when we wanted and just have privacy. Dad wasn’t able to get around as well so we’d just fish a deep creek from the bank. I’d bait his hooks with minnows and climb down the embankment when his lines got tangled or hung up.

When we needed something to eat for lunch I’d ask if he wanted to run to town and grab a bite to eat. He’d usually say no just go pick us up something. I didn’t like leaving him alone way back on the creek and so I’d try to get to town and then back as quick as possible. It always took at least an hour to an hour and a half to pick up lunch. When I’d finally make it back to the creek he’d faithfully be sitting in a folding chair there still fishing. I’m so thankful that we took off those two weeks to just fish because soon after he was never the same. He had heart failure and hadn’t told anyone that he was experiencing chest pains and other symptoms. The day after heart surgery he went into dementia and from then on had to use a walker to get around. We never got to fish again or do anything together. It was like a switch had been flipped and a different person became my dad. Life can change in an instant. Don’t take anything for granted.

Comment

My daddy was my best friend and has been gone for more than 20 years now. He had an incredible sense of humor and taught me how to laugh. He was an old generation man’s man, a teacher, coach and administrator that taught me how to hunt, fish and just appreciate the outdoors. Most of all he taught me how to work hard, put in an honest day’s effort, be a loyal friend and hopefully how to value a dollar.

Texas Tom Gray didn’t walk on water but believe me when I say his kids thought he did. He had many admitted shortcomings, probably more so especially as a husband….but whatever qualities he lacked in that area he more than made up for as a father. All I know for sure is…he set the bar way too high for this old man.

Happy Father’s Day Daddy. Until we see each other again.

Comment

Lots of memories over the years from hunting and fishing to baseball tournaments and traveling. I’d say the best chapter and memory I’ll hold closest to me for the rest of my life is what we’re doing right now and that’s building my house. He’s been a contractor his entire life and the bank let him sign off as my GC. It has been a load of fun, even as stressful as building a house is. Every time I think I’ve figured out everything that man knows he teaches me something else. I will forever hold this home and these memories close.

Comment

My dad didn’t live long enough, for me to mature enough, to appreciate who he was. But this I do remember and have done my best to remember when raising my kids...he never, ever, lied to me. A promise was a promise. If he said that I would be rewarded for doing right or well, then he would move heaven and earth to fulfill that promise. If punishment was promised for a bad deed...it was guaranteed that there was no getting out of it. Be careful what you tell your children, they learn right or wrong from you dad, don’t disappoint them.

Comment

Working...
                      X