No announcement yet.

Conroe to Laramie, WY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We make the drive from Laramie to DFW area and back every year. It's about 12 1/2 hrs via 287.
    We take 287 all the way to Limon, Co and hit I-70 to the toll road around Denver to I-25 and up to 287 again in Ft Collins.

All the routes are about the same driving time, just depends do you want traffic on I-25 from Raton to Ft Collins, a boring drive up I-35 to I-70 and across or straightest route along 287.
    287 is lower speed limit and you better not take it too far above, they patrol. We hook up with a trucker going fast let him lead usually.

Do not speed through Estelline, Tx on 287.

Wyoming in August is no where near as hot a Texas, hope you enjoy your stay !
    You may well end up over in Western Wyo where we just went, beautiful country and lots of cutthroat trout.

Comment

We go from Huntsville and make it to Raton easy on the first day. Did it twice with a wife and a 1 year old. Now hes 6 and still handles it well. Drove to Sundance Wy last year pulling a 12 ft box trailer with our gear for a hunt and made Raton NM in mess than 10 hrs. There is several decent hotels with food right there for breakfast in the morning for the rest of the trip. Better places than the little motels in Dumas or Dalhart. 287 is by far the best route if you like to cruise and at least have a view of more than just corn fields

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
        When we lived in Austin and came back home to Casper every summer we typically stayed in Dumas or Dalhart the first night. That was about a 10 hour first day.
        We always came up 87 through Mason, Brady, Big Spring, etc., and then across to Raton and straight up I25.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
        This is the same path we take. Not sure if it’s any longer or shorter than other routes, but I’m a creature of habit and there’s something comforting about passing the same landmarks along the way.

Comment

Everybody staying in Dumas/Dalhart area, that whole stretch stinks to high heavens almost every time I roll through there.

Comment

When we did our antelope hunt in Wyoming, we drove from Conroe to Fort Collings, CO in one day. Two of us driving. Then we went from there to Greybull, WY. Little further than what you are doing, but it wasn't a bad drive. I was ready to get out of the truck that day though!! If you go the Raton route, that's where I'd stay. More choices

Comment

Driving back from Wyoming I planned to stay in New Mexico for the night. Got rerouted in Denver to Eastern Colorado and it was pretty dang isolated from there until Dumas.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                Raton, New Mexico or Trinidad, Colorado
                Originally posted by HOOKNBULLET2 View Post
                La Quinta in Trinidad Colorado. There’s a Walmart next door to stock up on anything you may need.
                That was always our stop leaving from H-town or tomball. You gotta get Texas in the rear view on the first day. Its a morning nut kick waking up and realizing youre still in texas if you dont cross the state line. Not to mention once you get to Raton you have plenty of stuff to look at.

I have done straight through to Craig Colorado more times than I can count but thats with 2-3 drivers

Comment

We went from Round Rock, TX to Colorado Springs on the way to Gillette, WY and made the questionable decision to come all the way back to Lubbock to stay the night on the way home.. long day.. should have stayed in Amarillo on the way back.

Comment

we have done dfw to Colorado Springs on day 1 and then have an easy day 2 to wherever in CO we were headed. COS may be a bit further than you had in mind for 1 day from Conroe though

Comment

I've been thinking about going up in August to see if I cant figure out how to fly fish.

I drive DFW to Casper hunting. Leave at 4am and get there late evening. Most of the time I leave in evenings and just stop between Lamar Co and Limon Co. Just get a few hours of sleep in the truck.

I think I would stay in Lamar to knock out most miles the first day. Then have an easier second day and get to Laramie early afternoon.

Comment

We make similar trips each year. I always stay on the east side of Amarillo, in one of those newer hotels. After that, the drive to Laramie is easy. However, you might map it out, so you know when you hit Denver. Traffic there sucks at rush hour. Dalhart or even Raton. If you stop in Raton, make sure you bring everything into the hotel room.

Once you get North of Denver, it's absolutely gorgeous, some of the prettiest part of our country. I could drive all day with those views. And last time up, I met up with three other guys, all from Wyoming, and we did 95 MPH from Fort Collins to Laramie.
                        Last edited by WItoTX; 06-21-2021, 07:42 AM. Reason: .

Comment

When i have a trip like that, i just take off and stop when i get tired, unless i have a specific place i need to stop. Have never had a problem finding a hotel to take a nap in.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                            We make similar trips each year. I always stay on the east side of Amarillo, in one of those newer hotels. After that, the drive to Laramie is easy. However, you might map it out, so you know when you hit Denver. Traffic there sucks at rush hour. Dalhart or even Raton. If you stop in Raton, make sure you bring everything into the hotel room.

Once you get North of Denver, it's absolutely gorgeous, some of the prettiest part of our country. I could drive all day with those views. And last time up, I met up with three other guys, all from Wyoming, and we did 95 MPH from Fort Collins to Laramie.
                            Not sure which route you took from Ft Collins to Laramie but you sure won't be going 95mph now, traffic on I-25 is horrible and 287 is patrolled both sided of the state line pretty well now.
                            If you get stopped on the Wyoming side be prepared for a vehicle check due to the rec. pot situation in Colorado.

Comment

Charrell did you make this trip yet?
                              Wondering where you fished and how it went ?
                              Maybe buy you a beer at The Library in Laramie if you're up here now.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                                Charrell did you make this trip yet?
                                Wondering where you fished and how it went ?
                                Maybe buy you a beer at The Library in Laramie if you're up here now.
                                Unfortunately didn't get to make the trip. Had a double whammy hit me. My DEF system went out in my truck AND I got exposed to Covid, so I had to quarantine for a few days. Hopefully get to make the trip next year.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X